Join now - be part of our community!

Video & TV SideView DISCONTINUATION

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Video & TV SideView DISCONTINUATION

As of May, Sony discontinues most functionality in the Video & TV SideView app, see here.

Say goodbye to the only usable program guide for Sony TV. The only functionality left will be the remotes it seems.

Seems like Sony keeps taking things away from us, this time a rather important feature which actually made the Live TV part somewhat usable.

How in the blue hell can you not feel betrayed by this company?

40 REPLIES 40
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah.. I have been looking already for a replacement. At least for what concerns the tv guide with links to IMDB and Wikipedia. Fortunately the Italians are quite productive in this matter and I've found two apps already, but they work only with Italian channel. One has a UK version, though:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cisana.guidatv.uk

I mean, it's better than nothing. Don;t expect them to ever interface with out televisions. Although we never know..

PS: Obviously I am totally disappointed by Sony. Instead of adding feature they drop them?!

Chickenfish
Explorer

Massively disappointing.

I only get Satellite reception and as Sony TVs  don't officially support freesat, despite having satellite tuners and being able to pick up all the channels, the built in TV guide doesn't work for satellite channels or allow recording. This app provided a solution, giving both a guide and the ability to programme recordings. I fear once this is discontinued the only workable solution will be to buy a freesat box. Annoying not just for the expense but also the clumsiness of another box, remote and setup.

Very annoying. Sony if you're going to discontinue the useful bits of this app please sort out your TV guide so it automatically loads data for satellite channels and allows programmed recording.

Meydieu
New

A  shame it's going. The app really works well. 

profile.country.SE.title
PatrikT

I agree, I am also very dissapointed that Sony decided to remove functionallity in app that I am using and happy with.

I want to use my mobile as remote, and not remote just in front of the TV, remote as in anywhere when I have internet access: to manage my recordings.

Any replacement app comming Sony?

/Patrik

scolthead
New

The discontinuation of Tv Sideview is the last straw as far as i am concerned, The TV i chose on the strength of TV and Video sideview and just like that they pull the plug, the last piece of Sony equipment i buy they just seem to go from bad to worse.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

I have no words. Shame!

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Any Mods or Experts know if there will be an equivalent replacement for this App?

My Model KD43X8309CBU
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony commented via FlatpanelsHD that there are no plans to replace the app with something else.

profile.country.SE.title
PatrikT

You  have a direct link to that FlanpanelsHD official message?

/Patrik