Join now - be part of our community!

Video & TV SideView DISCONTINUATION

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Video & TV SideView DISCONTINUATION

As of May, Sony discontinues most functionality in the Video & TV SideView app, see here.

Say goodbye to the only usable program guide for Sony TV. The only functionality left will be the remotes it seems.

Seems like Sony keeps taking things away from us, this time a rather important feature which actually made the Live TV part somewhat usable.

How in the blue hell can you not feel betrayed by this company?

40 REPLIES 40
iamkloot55

I'm waiting for appointment to see the manager in the store re, a full
refund,
They are flooded with complaints,and are very annoyed with Sony.
What the hell are Sony up to,are they trying to dump the tv part of their
corporation.??
Btw my brother is not buying Sony now (he loves the sideview on mine)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

As a suggestion - Why not leave a negative review via the Google Play Store ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sony.tvsideview.phone&hl=en

Cheers

iamkloot55

Have left a review,(Edward Lowe),I'm pursuing a refund.
Will Sony bother to fix the useless programme guide? Probably a stupid
question.
SonysShirt
Explorer

Folks that are seeking refunds - how are you guys getting on with that ?

Bought mine from the main retail park store company and have pic of the pricetag/features description at the time that advertised Youview and HDD recording as functioning features (that wasn't the case and untrue at the time as i frustratingly found out once got it home)

Clear mis-selling from the off . Took years to get the features then they withdraw them so as far as I'm concerned I've been 'had' 

No doubt they'll be hiding behind a wall of legalities and small print to put 'the people' off and add don't anticipate the store to be particularly forthcoming but keen to pursue this as matter of principle now too .

Any updates appreciated .

iamkloot55

I met a Sony rep who proceeded to tell me no one uses it,but he didn't know how it works.

I contacted Sony Ireland,and they didn't have a clue about the app ,i had to explain what it was and how it worked

They have no info about its removal.

Promised to email/ring me ,I'm not expecting anything from them.

I'm meeting a solicitor friend to start proceedings for a refund.

iamkloot55

In hindsight,i should have bought a standard non smart TV for half the price,and an android box(100 euro)

The Sony android TV is a con and a mess.

Their own staff don't even know anything about them.

My last Sony purchase.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

I have a house full of Sony Products, inc a 14in CRT TV dating back to 1990. All working well. Except that is for my latestest and most expensive item. The removal of the Sideview functionality indicates to me that unusually for a Japanese Company they just don't care. I Believe Sony are going down as a Company ( at least for domestic products ). THis is the final nail in the coffin, unless they have a good replacement around the corner which seems unlikely I'M NEVER BUYING ANOTHER SONY PRODUCT EVER AGAIN !!! 

Sad I know, I was considering a high end Camera. I know this message will never get to SONY HQ in Japan, but I can share my views with other Sony Customers here and elsewhere on the web. 

I would be very surprised if we see any Domestic products in a few years from Sony. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
RobLundkvist
Explorer

Not good and very disappointing. I was staying away from the Sony brand since I was a kid and they had a habit of having proprietary connectors/cables etc. Bought myself a new TV a few months back, a SONY, and I thought as they were using AndroidTV that there was longevity and continued support...

Worryingly that they are taking away capability and dropping support so early on. I would expect at least 5 years continued support and improvements, not just having a few months in taking capability away... What is to expect, will youview go in the next 12 months then and I end up with just a screen?

scolthead
New

I too bought a Sony television in favour over another brand on the
strength of TV and Videov Sideview capability that was in November 2016 oh
what a mistake that was. I have tried to contact Sony for a reason why and
I am sure the centre is based on mars as no one at the support centre had
even heard of TV and Vid Sideview that speaks volumes , Sonys days are
numbered they are going from bad to worse no more will i be tempted with
this brand.
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony is now also abandoning the Twitter feature (see ACTION MENU). I can perfectly live with that though.