Join now - be part of our community!

Video & TV SideView DISCONTINUATION

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Video & TV SideView DISCONTINUATION

As of May, Sony discontinues most functionality in the Video & TV SideView app, see here.

Say goodbye to the only usable program guide for Sony TV. The only functionality left will be the remotes it seems.

Seems like Sony keeps taking things away from us, this time a rather important feature which actually made the Live TV part somewhat usable.

How in the blue hell can you not feel betrayed by this company?

40 REPLIES 40
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero
iamkloot55

Sideview was a big selling point when I purchased my TV.

an absolutely brilliant app/function,two of my mates bought Sony TVs when I showed them this function

i will be asking for a full refund from Sony.

what next ? No wifi,Internet access ??? Pathetic.

who the hell do they think they are?

ive been a Sony fan for years and stuck with my Bravia through all the software problems.

Sony do you enjoy giving your loyal customers the two finger salute.??

you should be ashamed

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

I also hate when they take out functions. I loved seeing the channels on
the cell app and the possibility to straight out jump to each channel.
iamkloot55

Come on Sony community,we should not allow Sony to walk all over its customers

enough is enough.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The disappointment in regards to the Video + TV sideview being discontinued has been fed back to Sony a while ago.  Unfortunately things dont look they will change.  I am also annoyed with this, as it was a handy backup for me.

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

This app was the only thing that made Live TV worthwhile on Sony. Guide surfing and scheduling recordings was fast and you could easily surf and switch channels from within the guide. On the Austrian Sony web page (and I assume others too) they are still advertising the app for some discontinued products. They removed the ads for the most recent products.

I can't read all this praise for the new XE models in the press anymore. It just does not reflect the bad shape those TVs are in. Reviewers only care about image quality. 95% of the people can't even discern most differences if not watched side by side. They want to watch TV and stuff to be stable which is just not the case. Nobody writes how Sony takes key features away, or how they take over one year to release Marshmallow and still [profanity removed by moderator] it up big time.

Gracenote isn't cheap. I know that much. On most other devices, people have to pay a monthly/yearly fee for the service. But you just can't advertise this feature and then take it away. How about the app just pulling the EPG (DVB-EIT) data from the TV? I know that won't help in case of Freesat, but...

So now that Sony TVs do not have any dependency to the SideView app anymore concerning Live TV, how about moving to Google's Live Channels which really evolved in the last 2 years? I could also imagine Google doing a mobile companion app for it. Just dreaming... I know that Sony still has to get channel management right, but it would still be a lot less code to maintain.

iamkloot55

Any reason from Sony as to why they are dropping sideview ?

it is the smartest feature on tv

they have been using it as a big selling point,surely Sony have a responsibility to its customers.

the tv programme guide is useless,and it will leave hdd recording almost impossible to use.

i would gladly pay for the app, instead of me going to my tv store ( btw a brilliant store),I'll probably have high blood pressure.

i feel it starting to rise allready

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

They are cheap... From the plastic cheap tvs they are making, badly
designed ...to the badly handled code on their tvs. This is going down.

We pay a premium for these TVs.
profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

The same reasons why tvs now are made of plastic...Not steel anymore. Matte
plastic screens instead of gorilla Glass. Cheap IPS panels instead of VA.
Horrible plastic cheap remote instead if the later glossy huge ones...

Cost cutting.

Sony is soon selling Bravia.

Watch it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iamkloot55 wrote:

Any reason from Sony as to why they are dropping sideview ?

No reason has been given - we can only guess.