Join now - be part of our community!

How to stop HDMI Information Banner on KD-49XG9005 using Android 9 latest firmware???

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
warlord01
Explorer

How to stop HDMI Information Banner on KD-49XG9005 using Android 9 latest firmware???

I wish to stop the information banner from being displayed at random times whilst watching TV etc on my XG9005.

After searching around, I found out that prior to this latest update (v6.7140) that you could enter the menu: 

Home > Settings > Channel Setup > Info Banner > OFF  and disable the notification.

There must be a way to achieve this under the latest firmware, as it is spoiling my viewing experience and is becoming a major annoyance!!

Any suggestions gratefully received 😀

53 REPLIES 53
profile.country.GB.title
BryGiff
Explorer

I've been getting a similar issue on my xg9005 doesn't happen whilst watching any TV on apps (I player, prime, netflix) but is making playing playstation near impossible, I've changed the setting to remove info banner and it doesn't show now but I lose audio for a second and the screen goes black for a few seconds at random intervals. 

profile.country.GB.title
jonH68
Explorer

To update, the change to the settings has made no difference with the info bar pop up still appearing every 30 seconds.

As stated earlier my set does not have the info banner off option.

profile.country.GB.title
jonH68
Explorer

I have been in contact with Sony UK on Twitter who advise the inability to see the option to turn off the info bar under the TV settings menu is under investigation - no idea how long this may take to resolve.

The problem pop up occurs when viewing through the ATV4K or Virgin Media 360 box, watching through the TV’s native apps is fine but content of course is limited.

I hope a resolution is not far off as regular TV viewing is severely impacted.

profile.country.GB.title
Nitrami
Explorer

I have the exact same setup a KD-49XG9005 with a Denon AVR-X2200W receiver. And after the firmware update to 6.7140 release every 30 seconds the HDMI 3/ARC banner appears. And the menu to disable this function is not there. I even stopped watching TV because of this. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, I checked the manual and the option isn't there, did  you try a factory reset?

profile.country.GB.title
Nitrami
Explorer

Yes, in the new firmware it's called "Factory data reset"
Menu: "Device Preferences"->"Reset"

profile.country.GB.title
TripleZ3R0
Explorer

Thank goodness I thought I was going insane - I am having the same issue with this model of TV (KD-49XG9005). The info banner keeps displaying in the middle of viewing - this has only started happening since the firmware upgrade to v6.7140.

I have a Denon AVRX2400 plugged into it with Apple TV 4K, Sky Q, Nintendo Switch and XBOX one into the AVR.

I have replaced HDMI cables from the TV to AVR and from the AVR to the devices, I have done factory resets for both the TV and the AVR and have made sure all the latest updates are installed... and systematically gone through all the audio and visual settings to see if it is a particular issue... no dice, it is still happening regardless of source... 

The picture quality and audio quality are just fine, even when the banner pops up I am not getting any interference or dropouts... so it’s all fine, apart from the seemingly random info banner pop ups which are infuriating!!!! It’s made all the worse by the fact that you can’t even turn off the info banner! Someone at Sony, please help!?

profile.country.GB.title
molufc
Explorer

Hi,

We have also been having this same problem since the latest software update for the TV. The info banner at the top just constantly appears at random times quite frequently and it is annoying.

We have the Sony KD-49XG9005 TV connected to a Sony HT-XF9000 soundbar which is then connected to a Virgin Media V6 box. The soundbar is connected through the TVs ARC HDMI input as suggested in the instructions so all setup correctly.

We've noticed that the info banner randomly and constantly appears only when watching TV on the Virgin box and using the soundbar both together.

Watching any TV (inc Virgin box) through the TVs own speakers, or watching TV not on the Virgin box (such as the TVs Netflix or Prime apps) but with the soundbar on doesn't seem to cause the problem.

This wasn't an issue before but since the latest TV software update in Jan/Feb 2021 it's constantly appearing and we can't make it just not appear! Can someone at Sony please help?!

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guys, I've seen a recent reply from Sony on Twitter, they're aware of the issue and investigating further, they said they can't comment for now.

profile.country.GB.title
CosmicCat

I have the same model of TV and the exact same problem since the latest software update. What was a great TV has been rendered unwatchable overnight. I deeply regret accepting this update. I reported the problem to Sony support who referred me to the non-existant option to turn off the info banner (I'm sure there was one before this update or did I imagine it?). They said the problem was being investigated and could offer no other solution. While I'm sorry others are suffering this too I'm relieved it's not just me. Sony, if you're reading this, please please provide the option to turn off the banner before I go insane.