Join now - be part of our community!

How to stop HDMI Information Banner on KD-49XG9005 using Android 9 latest firmware???

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
warlord01
Explorer

How to stop HDMI Information Banner on KD-49XG9005 using Android 9 latest firmware???

I wish to stop the information banner from being displayed at random times whilst watching TV etc on my XG9005.

After searching around, I found out that prior to this latest update (v6.7140) that you could enter the menu: 

Home > Settings > Channel Setup > Info Banner > OFF  and disable the notification.

There must be a way to achieve this under the latest firmware, as it is spoiling my viewing experience and is becoming a major annoyance!!

Any suggestions gratefully received 😀

53 REPLIES 53
profile.country.GB.title
jonH68
Explorer

I have chased Sony again today as it’s over two weeks since I reported the issue where they advised it is “being handled with great emphasis and care” - good to hear but with no resolution in sight I may have to consider returning my once excellent TV under its warranty for a refund as it is now essentially faulty. So frustrating.

profile.country.GB.title
CosmicCat

I don't think Sony get how truly detrimental this is. It's not just a minor annoyance. Often the top 20% of the screen is almost continuously occupied by this banner popping up and closing many times in the space of a few minutes. There's no way I can tolerate this long term. I also now consider this set to be faulty. I only reported this a week ago but I will chase them again.

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

I had this problem earlier but it seems to have gone away? 

I used to have my Xbox plugged in to HDMI 1 and continuously get this info banner popping up. I switched over to my Nvidia Shield and got the same result. But now it has gone? I will try my Xbox again to see if it comes back.

I don't get the option to disable the info banner in the settings menu.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guys, not all models has the option to turn off the info banner btw, and so far it's been reported on many other threads that's not resolved and Sony is investigating. We shall wait and see then.

profile.country.GB.title
Palexr

Interestingly I have read on another forum someone had this issue and contacted Sony support. They actually changed the motherboard which had the previous firmware on it. This one was not suffering the info banner issue and they option to disable the notification was there too. He had not updated and is running fine. It seems to be an issue with the latest firmware. 

That said, Sony have known about this issue for writer a while and do not seem to be addressing it... Could it be that is because the issue is restricted to the KD-49XG?

profile.country.PL.title
Buhaj47
Explorer

Just found this thread, I have this issue on my XF90, i.e. connection goes like PS5 -> soundbar -> TV (HDMI 3). While playing on the console, info banner is appearing quite often, when I switch the console to TV directly, sound gets a bit delayed (on TV speakers too). I think the delay that made me connect the console to soundbar in the first place, may have been introduced with 6.7140 firmware.

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

I had the same on my 65AF8.

The hdmi banner appearing randomly and often after the most recent firmware upgrade a few days ago.

However, I did find the option to turn it off in the menu - I will take a look to see where I found it at some point today. The firmware for my TV must have kept that option in the menu.

I’m more annoyed that what should be a useful feature i.e. seeing for a few seconds the input information when you switch has to be forcefully disabled because its simply buggy.

My TV currently has 3 active faults -

buggy hdmi banner (switched off)

losing internet connection after standby, but only for some apps (no solution yet)

hdmi3 incapable of displaying a dolby vision signal (no solution yet)

what a mess.

profile.country.GB.title
CosmicCat

I've chased this up twice since I first reported it but Sony support have been no help whatsoever.

They just say it's under investigation and have no further information at this time. They cannot say how long the investigation will take let alone if or when this will be fixed.

Meanwhile my TV has been virtually unwatchable for 3 weeks now.

Here's a 2 minute clip of what it's like trying a view a programme on this set:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19hsTwz_4c5lxn5wt18IDqaRLyDdExNEU

How long does it take to reinstate the option to turn off this ridiculous, unnecessary info banner?

I am fast losing patience.

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

OK

on my AF8 with latest firmware I had to -

(while watching normal TV, not a separate input from an external box or player)

Goto settings -> Watching TV -> Info Banner

and slide that setting to ‘off’

to cure the problem.

As an experiment, I’ve just switched it back on to see if there has been any change. I use hdmi3 with my NVidia Shield player. Sure enough up comes the banner regularly and randomly while simply watching some Netflix.

I dunno, have you tried a different hdmi input?

When I was having problems with dolbyvision on hdmi3 I switched to hdmi2 and it was fine, so the ports are not all the same. The banner appears when the TV detects a ‘change’ in the signal (which is normal behavior) so you might want to check the settings on the hdmi out on whatever external kit it is you are using to send the signal to your tv - the resolution, refresh rate, any other settings.

Having said that, there is a clear fault as my TV does the same as yours. I just seem to have the menu option as described above to turn it off and cure the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69