Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO RZ401P dead?

Danny.padova
Visitor

Sony VAIO RZ401P dead?

It a 7 years old PC so i think it's worth a try. I got it back in 2002 ever since its been working fine until last week. i did a full format, restored it back to factory settings. Now i did a few restarts to make sure it was working and until 6 hours later it powered on but not screen shown the keyboard light blinked, DVD drives peek out and then in when press the eject button. I took the heatsink out and gave it an clean. Still wouldn't boot up. I am deaf, My parents said it does the normal noise and then a funny noise.

I think it is dead would i be correct?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Danny.padova,

I suspect that you have a motherboard problem, but this is very difficult to diagnose at distance.

A local repairer may be able to help but the cost may possibly be more than the machine is worth :slight_frown:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Danny.padova
Visitor

I am an Advanced user with computer background of passing Network+ and currently doing MCDST. I think my problem is linked to people with A+ correct?

I am not worth repairing it. Any idea how I diagnose the problem. So I can get a quote on the price to repair it?

EDIT: Also How much do you think Sony will charge me to buy the motherboard off them? I very much doubt they don't exist anymore.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If you wish to carry out diagnostics yourself then you will need a hardware card that supports ‘Forced Diagnostic Mode’, as your system is failing to post. If you Google “Forced Diagnostic Mode Motherboard” you will find results. These are designed for professional use and don’t come cheap.

The alternative is to swap components such as Video card, CPU, BIOS chips etc...

I am afraid that I have no idea whether the motherboard for your model is still available, but I suspect that it will possibly cost more than the machine is worth. You will need to either Google or contact Support.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat