Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO RZ401P dead?

Danny.padova
Visitor

Sony VAIO RZ401P dead?

It a 7 years old PC so i think it's worth a try. I got it back in 2002 ever since its been working fine until last week. i did a full format, restored it back to factory settings. Now i did a few restarts to make sure it was working and until 6 hours later it powered on but not screen shown the keyboard light blinked, DVD drives peek out and then in when press the eject button. I took the heatsink out and gave it an clean. Still wouldn't boot up. I am deaf, My parents said it does the normal noise and then a funny noise.

I think it is dead would i be correct?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This does not sound good Danny.padova, but can you ask one of your family members to listen carefully when the machine boots?

Normally if there is a problem with any hardware component there is an error ‘beep’ code – short and long tones.

No beep code may indicate a hard drive problem but, if there is a beep code we may be able to help further.

EDIT: If the DVD drive opens and closes then it would seem that the operating system has loaded - have you tried attaching a different monitor?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Danny.padova
Visitor

Well I don't think it is the monitor but i will try linking it up to my TV tomorrow. I will report back.

Danny.padova
Visitor

This does not sound good Danny.padova, but can you ask one of your family members to listen carefully when the machine boots? 

Normally if there is a problem with any hardware component there is an error ‘beep’ code – short and long tones.

No beep code may indicate a hard drive problem but, if there is a beep code we may be able to help further.

EDIT: If the DVD drive opens and closes then it would seem that the operating system has loaded - have you tried attaching a different monitor?

No beeps at all. The hard drive works in external. Tired my other monitor nothing too.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

DVD drives peek out and then in when press the eject button

Are you saying that the drive opens on its own at boot and then closes when you press the button?

Although I have never encountered a drive opening on its own I suggest that you check the BIOS boot sequence.

Tap F2 at boot (when you see the Vaio Logo) and look for a tab that lists boot sequence - set the hard drive as the first in the list.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Danny.padova
Visitor

Actually when i press the eject button it pops out about 1 inch then goes back in on both drives. I've changed the RAM too!

I can't get to the boot sequence power on blank screen nothing at all.

I think the motherboard on the PSU is faulty. When can information on the motherboard what kind it is and get a replacement?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Have you tried reverting back to the RAM configuration that you had before the problem started. :thinking:

Danny.padova
Visitor

Nope I never. It just goes black screen when I boot it up can't access the BIOS or anything. No SONY logo came up as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I've changed the RAM too! 

What changes did you make.?

Danny.padova
Visitor

Swap it for with my other PC, they both the same kind. But that was after it was broke.