Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia XZ and 3GB of RAM

edmonddantes182
Visitor

Sony Xperia XZ and 3GB of RAM

Hey everybody, when Sony announced the XZ and X Compact I got super excited as I love Sony's prod. However, I don't get why the XZ (which I believe replaces the Performance as the current flagship now?) still has 3GB of RAM. Sony hasn't updated the RAM in their phones since 2014 with the Xperia Z2. I feel like Sony should've put 4GB of RAM in the XZ just to stay even more in the competition. This is just my opinion, what do you guys think?
37 REPLIES 37
zxcvbad
Visitor

And then Google will make 4GB mandatory for O/CTS due to daydream or a "similar" new feature. Terrible strategy, Sony is trying to make consumers believe that 1080p, 3Gb, eMMC, 2900MAh and plastic is fine this days, well it's not, it's not an ios it's android, it isn't as optimized. Look at the apps sizes (AArch64) profile the RAM they utilize. What I see here is a purely a cost optimizations. Xperia is now catching up.
Sunking1011
Contributor

I can't disagree with most of that. In four or five months' time Sony will release a phone with metal chassis, 4GB of RAM and they'll ditch the eMMC storage. XZ owners will then feel cheated.
azzido
Enthusiast

Then again 4GB of RAM from Sony offer will be 1 year behind the competition that will come with 6 or even 8 gigs of RAM, aluminium frames, better cameras, bigger batteries etc. 

Sony is not trying with the hardware right now, and they are ignoring Software almost completely (example: Android N being almost 100% a simple copy paste only, without Sony effort to their Boring UI or bug fixes).

yuunanase
Visitor

Hi CameronT,

I wish that that is the case, but unfortunately, Android does not use 1GB Ram. 

Android OS uses 1.1GB, while Android System used 160MB, System UI 157MB, Play Service 208MB, Google App 92MB, Phone 57MB, SIM 42MB, plus a bunch of other system apps (devicemonitor, Smartcard service, Lock screen settings, Enterprise services, Xperia Tips Services, Device Usage, Xperia Configurator, my Xperia), leaving me with less than 1GB ram most of the time.

Yes, can effectively manage ram, but there is no ram for android to manage.DSC_0001.JPGScreenshot_20161207-155904.png

Sunking1011
Contributor

eMMC is arguably worse than the paltry 3GB of RAM. It takes ages to load certain things and especially settings/storage & memory/advanced/internal storage. It takes an age for that list to populate!
100rabh
Visitor

I was probably ok with 3gb of RAM .... but i think it's a shame that Sony didn't provide us with 4 Gig's 

i mean how much 1 extra Gb of ram would've costed Sony ..... phones with 250USD these days are coming with 3gb of Ram ... ah well too bad Sony

butt31316
Visitor

Sony XZ much more ram used
Elkadete
Visitor

I completely agree.