Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia XZ and 3GB of RAM

edmonddantes182
Visitor

Sony Xperia XZ and 3GB of RAM

Hey everybody, when Sony announced the XZ and X Compact I got super excited as I love Sony's prod. However, I don't get why the XZ (which I believe replaces the Performance as the current flagship now?) still has 3GB of RAM. Sony hasn't updated the RAM in their phones since 2014 with the Xperia Z2. I feel like Sony should've put 4GB of RAM in the XZ just to stay even more in the competition. This is just my opinion, what do you guys think?
37 REPLIES 37
WarmWinter
Visitor

Got it!:smileysmileywink:

I gave reply right away while this thread was still empty, so I thought I was the first. But I guess everyone just ahead of me in typing so I totally missed to read the previous replies.:smileyhappy:

CameronT
Champion

@WarmWinter,

Haha, it happens, even to me Smiling_Face_with_open_mouth_&_closed_Eyes

azzido
Enthusiast

Hahaha WarmWinter who told you the more RAM will decrease battery life? Slightly_smiling_Face

See, now Sony has the least RAM amount and is doibg worse in terms of the battery, even 1080p screen is not helping it. Basically you will do nothing with a small battery. Since Z2 they started to reduce and reduce it noone knows what for?

Sony lost its battery factor of being better than competition in this matter with newest Xperias and they now even stopped to market it as 2 days battery life Slightly_smiling_Face

This is not what customers expects. 5.2 inch screens should have about 3300 -3500mAh batteries, not 2900mAh... It is end of 2016.
yuunanase
Visitor

I agree, 3Gb is enough.  I can run ingress + pokemon go + spotify without problem.

However, I am worried, if google decided to make it a requirement for 4Gb ram in Android O, we will not be able to upgrade right, just like Z3?

Sunking1011
Contributor

Whatever anyone says, it was a bad move. Most people keep their phones for two years and already at the point of launch people are questioning the amount of RAM in the XZ. The Pixel runs pure Android and yet it comes with 4GB. Samsung will be putting 6GB into their next releases and the budget OnePlus Three already comes with 6GB.
Sure performance and RAM management is ok at the moment but there is no futureproofing with the Xperia XZ. The specs are already a month or two from being out of date. There will be faster, less power hungry processors early next year and all new flagships will have more RAM than the XZ. It will soon have the specs of a midrange phone across the board. Exactly how does it compete with the current range of flagships let alone the next batch? It seems that the XZ is all about the camera and yet even that is substandard to the competition. 4GB of RAM would have sweetened the deal for many folk.
Tedorg
Visitor

Totally agree.

I have used sony xperia z, z2,z3dual,z5 premium dual and resently bought oneplus3.

6GB RAM totaly worth it.

For oneplus 3, 5.6G is acturally accessable in the android system. I have averagely 3.4G in use for idle.

I have had about 100 apps installed on the phone.

I think in 2016 3GB ram is only able to cope most situations for moderate users, but never heavy users.

Using 3GB ram on a "flagship" device is totally failure. For a real flagship in 2016, 4GB is minimum and 6GB will be a bonus. Isn't the flagship device for those heavy users anyway? For a heavy user, loads of app being installed is for certain. And many of the apps will have background thread. This will quickly occupy the poor ram.

With 3GB you will feel laggy in around 50% time, 4GB will make the phone running fast in most times unless switching between some heavy apps(games or pdf/office files) , and 6GB will be lag free unless there's bug/optimisation failure.

Tedorg
Visitor

Well sorry to say that as long as you cannot command the app developers to limit their background thread, your ram management will be in vain.

For a 3GB ram device, at stock status indeed there will be 2GB ram for free to users. But as the more apps installed, even they were not opened since last restart, the background thread will still autostart and eat up the ram.

Usually I found my sony device have only 500M free ram after I turn it on for 20-30mins, and If I start to play music, open some webpage and apps, and have some swtich between them, I will only have 200-300M free ram. And if I go for a heavy game or open a PDF file or another webpage, the lag and reload will be for certain.

I was a sony fan and used sony phone from xperia z to z2, z3 dual, z5 premium dual, and now I have disappointed with sony.

Sunking1011
Contributor

How do I interpret these stats, surely Chrome isn't using *all* my RAM?
Screenshot_20161027-081017.png
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

No, that's how much total it's used in the last 3 hours
Sunking1011
Contributor

They aren't particularly helpful stats are they, plus they're very deep into the settings menu. How much RAM is being used *now* and how much is currently free would be much more useful.