Join now - be part of our community!

Official death of Original Tablet S

profile.country.en_GB.title
mpattenden
New

Official death of Original Tablet S

Well I guess the new community and forum has finally signalled the death of the original Tablet S.

As an early adopter (bought on day 2 of release!) I championed the tablet as new and innovative, loved it and put up with some of the quirks, help resolve a few and like to think I was an active member of the Sony Tablet community - unfortunately Sony didn't repay any loyalty and the tablet will be my last Sony purchase.

I have in the past been a sony advocate walkmans, minidisc, playstations, psp, satio phone, Alpha DSLR's but no more - I was burnt by the satio - support ceased and again with the Tablet S support effectively ceased less than a year after release (god knows how Tablet P owners feel!!).

The Tablet S was a chance to do something different and differentiate themselves but to stop support so soon when it was brought out on a supposed more open platform like Android is appaling. I have an expensive remote control now! It actual fct it is being used by my 9yr old daughter to surf and play suduko about all it's good for and not the best at those!

I have moved to an iPad something I had wanted to avoid in the tablet world but it works is well supported and won't get ditched in less than 18ths!

As for SONY no more purchases no more tech, cameras (i like) have ceased anyway, nikon is now my choice, playstation - no more purchases only xbox, phones - apple, laptops - Mac, Tablets - Apple, tv - samsung, audio - bose or B&O.....I know many others following a similar path (different tech - not SONY) after being let down. WIll they ever learn - who know and no I don't care.

I'm posting this because I do feel a little bitter towards Sony - but also to say cheerio to the folks on the forum who I used to interact with if they come here.

Padster

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
AnnoyedWithSonyUK

Sony are simply pushing out more and more devices and don't have the time to support the ones devices already out there. Very short sighted as people may well buy the eye candy once but when it doesn't actually work and is not supported they will also feel let down and perhaps consider some other device next time around. By the time Sony work this out it will be too late and the brand will already be damaged.
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Pretty much agree with you in terms of Sony tablets. I have the sony ereader PRS-650 works great and when the times comes to replace it I'll look at whatever Sony has to offer.

But the lack of support for the Tablet S is/was terrible and I will not under any circumstance go for a Sony tablet again. The latest tablet releases do not interest me.

The least Sony could do is to unlock the bootloader.

youknowyouloveit
Explorer

What's worse they locked the bootloader in a release that broke so many things. Now they say they are not going to fix the issues.

Every time I go to use the tablet it has hard switched itself off - what point is there in having a "remote control" app if you have to wait 4 minutes for the thing to boot before you can use it?

Shocking behaviour Sony - I'll never buy another Sony tablet. I'll also be telling everyone I know to avoid them.

---

Profanity removed - Drew

profile.country.GR.title
reptile64

I will never buy or recommend to my friends any Sony tablets! After Tablet S and Xperia Tablet S huge failure!
profile.country.GB.title
AnnoyedWithSonyUK

My Tab S used to shut down often. Returned it to Sony for repair at they replaced the motherboard. Now only locks up infrequently. I believe that there is an issue with some of the motherboards that Sony will not admit to. If your Tab S is still within warrenty return it. If out of warrenty write to Sony formally.

Best of luck,

Ian.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hevster
New

Just wanted to register my disappointment too, on the appalling service given by Sony to the customers who bought the Sony S. Definitely my last purchase from Sony as I have zero trust in them now. withdrawing support for such a young product really shows disregard for customers, especially given what support there was in the first place was terrible.

I hope all those thinking of buying Sony in future take note of the lesson learned by all those who have been stiffed by Sony over this.