Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN Z11M Wireless problem

harleymick
Visitor

VAIO VGN Z11M Wireless problem

Hello, I have Vaio VGN Z11M and my wireless network card seems to have disappeared!!!! Its not showing up in the Vaio window and the wireless switch is not illuminated. The switch works as I can still make a connection via bluetooth and then its green. I had occasionally problems with loosing the wireless link but a simple reboot solved it. However now its permanently dead and the wireless card is not even shown in the Device manager list. All Firmware is uptodate. Also did a systen restore as recommended by the Vaio support but no change. Any other idea? Otherwise its a hardwrae fault and the machine is out of guarantee (18 months old).

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi harleymick,

Unfortunately, from what you have described, this does seem to be a hardware problem, especially as the wireless card is not recognised in Device Manager.

All I can suggest is that you remove and re-seat the wireless LAN card – This may be located under a cover on the Z series, but I am not familiar with this model. Make sure to disconnect AC power and remover the battery before doing this...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
harleymick
Visitor

Hi Rich,
I have open the machine but couldn't see anything strange. I have also installed a new linux system in addition to the Vista professional, which I am using normally to see if there is a Windows hickups somewhere. But also the linux version does not detect the wireless card. So, the problem is really with the hardware. I will call Sony tomorrow as they suggested anywhere and I hope I have a repair center in my neighbourhood.
Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi harleymick,

I assume that the wireless card was not located under a cover on the under side?

Having tried a linux OS I think that you have ruled out a software problem but Support will no doubt ask you to carry out a factory reset - make sure to back up your data first.

Please let us know how you get on...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat