Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk on PCV-RXG408

padraig
Visitor

Hard disk on PCV-RXG408

I recently purchased a PCV-RXG408 and my main interest in to edit DV. So far what I have tried has worked without problem - imported clips from my camcorder into MovieShaker, editied and exported back to my camcorder. Recently, I am suspect that the 160GB hard disk is rated at 5400RPM (how can I find out for this for certain?). Specs at http://www.vaio-link.com/common/specs.asp?ID=820. This is worrying me as I had assumed that it would be 7200RPM - the usual minimum specified for DV editing. The PCV-RXG408 is marketed as a DV editing platform and that is what I want to do. As I am a beginner to DV editing is my 5400RPM concern valid?

Thanks.
Padraig

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would think that if Sony said it was intended for DV that it should work well, though you'd think it would be a 7200RPM disk in there. Hopefuly someone with this model can tell you what the RPM is on the drive. Personally I wouldn't worry as long as it does the job.

Floandal
Visitor

Yes, it is valid Padraig, a well mantained and partitioned 5400rpm drive is not far from the lower limits of Data Transfer speed for video capture. Whereas, as you correctly state, it is generally accepted, and advised that you should capture video to a 7200rpm hard drive, and preferably that to be a second drive, seperate from the O/S drive.

How many hard drives in your machine ? If only the one, is it partitioned, for that is the second best option, and capturing to a seperate partition from the one carrying the O/S will give higher Data Transfer Rates, so enabling successful capture without dropped frames or other associated artefacts that can occur.
Also easier and quicker to defragment the partitions, which is important to do on a regular basis.

You can check the speed of the drive on the label on the drive, if it is visible with the side cover removed.
Possibly some software that may tell you. I just checked the Belarc Advisor, --- and that doesn't unfortunately, not sure about Sisoft Sandra, I haven't used it for a while.

Alan.

kee-lo_

Try Sandra, I think that tells you the speed.

padraig
Visitor

So I tried Start->Accessories->System Tools->System Information. This told me the hard drive was a Maxtor 4A160J0. Looked this up on the Maxtor web site and found it is a DiamondMax 16 5400RPM ATA/133 2MB Buffer, Ball Bearing Motor, AV disk drive! So its 5400. My hard drive has 2 partitions and I plan to use the non system partition for all my DV work. Hopefully I won't have problems! Also noticed that Maxtor have a 120GB 7200RPM external Firewire drive. Are these OK for DV work?

kee-lo_

Personally, I would go for a 8MB cache turning @ 7200RPM. I think Western Digital do one - I'd go for a 100GB+ if you can afford it. If you are not confortable installing it, try a local store to see if they have a service to install it for you.

RobertStalker
Visitor

It shows that information given in Sony hardware litrature show various desktop models. I selected my model after carefull reading, that my particular model PCV-RX403N had a 60Gb hard drive fitted, when in actual fact the hard drive fitted was rated 40Gb capacity. I still await confirmationor a reason relating to discrepancy of 20Gb from Sony.