Join now - be part of our community!

Electric Shock!?! (PCG-Z1XSP)

LBHughes
Visitor

Electric Shock!?! (PCG-Z1XSP)

Erm... are we the only ones to be getting an electric shock off our brand new PCG-Z1XSP laptops? It's only a minor shock (more of a tingle) but nonetheless, it's there!!

To replicate, ensure you have the mains power plugged in and NO other peripherals (I also found you don't get the shock if you're wearing shoes!). Then touch the corner of the metal body with the underside of your wrist (or somewhere equally sensitive :smileyblush:). Feel a tingle? I've tested it on a few people and most of them experienced the same. Also tried another laptop (same model) - and it's still there! Anyone else get this??

Funnily enough, if you plug the modem into a phone line the shock stops. Don't know if it's related in any way to last year's recall of 10,000+ Vaio's but it seems like a suspiciously similar fault.

I've logged a case, we'll see what happens...

Andy

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Andy,

Yeah apparently you're not the first to feel this.
I don't think there was a solution.

LBHughes
Visitor

Mmm... worrying. I haven't tested it properly yet (like, with a volt meter) so no idea how much power is actually running through the case, but watch this space!

Logged a case with Sony yesterday morning - STILL haven't heard anything back... :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

Bit scary isn't it?
I would keep children away from the area...

LBHughes
Visitor

OK, this is slightly concerning - we've measured it and (while plugged into mains power) there's 9V AC running through the case of these laptops while no other ground reference (such as the modem) is plugged in.

Sony are looking into it...

kee-lo_

I should hope Sony are looking into this, this is dangerous.

LBHughes
Visitor

I should say so - especially since BOTH brand new laptops are experiencing exactly the same problem. I have to say, Sony didn't seem that bothered about it and tried to treat it as a warrantable repair - we've insisted on it being escallated though, especially since 18,000 Vaio's were apparently recalled last year due to a similar problem. Plus, there's no way on earth we're sending 2 week old laptops off for repair when it's clearly a design fault. We'll see what happens - really don't want to lose our Vaios though!! :slight_frown:

Andy

kee-lo_

Yep it's crazy.
They should really be recalled, like the GRX'es as some of them have soldering issues after 2 years and the second memory slot dies :cry:

1234567ty
Visitor

ANY GUY WORKING FOR SONY PLEASE READ THESE POSTS AND TELL YOUR BOSS!!! there we go, LBHughes and Kee-Lo, perhaps that might touch the surface of someone's brain. I am sure that we will all be thankful to the person whos brain it does sink into!!

kee-lo_

We can only wish Harry.