Join now - be part of our community!

No DD+ sound output in Netflix app

SOLVED
profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

No DD+ sound output in Netflix app

Hello,

I am writing with reference to Sound setting for streaming app (Netflix, Amazon etc) on UBP-X800 When I play Netflix (same movie/ series with DD+ content) from UBP-X800 the sound is passed as Dolby Digital whereas if it is played from KD-55XE9005 the sound is passed as Dolby Digital +

Please note that the HD bitstream output setting has been correctly set. I am able to receive Atmos content from Blue Ray disc so that is working fine. The only issue is with the streaming app.

Attempt to contact Sony technical support has been a disaster so far. Hoping to get a solution from the community member.

Thanks in advance for the help and solution.

With best regards

Shatabda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Shatabda,

Sorry if I missed your post in German community.

Anyway, here we go...

The Netflix app in UBP-X800 currently doesn't support the bitstream output of Dolby Digital plus (DD+) encoded signals. In fact the app is converting the DD+ back to DD at high bitrate so in terms of quality you don’t loose much information but you will loose extra metadata e.g. for Dolby Atmos. So if the original content is just 5.1, the difference in sound quality won’t be noticeable but if the content is Atmos encoded, you won’t be able to get the Atmos metadata stream.

Cheers

Peter

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Shatabda, 

Welcome to the community. Sorry to read this. Have you had a response from Sony Support yet? 

Thanks, 

Pascale

profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

Hello Pascale

Thanks for the response. I have been struggling with Sony DE support over 1 week. Their initial response was DD+ is not supported by UBP-X800. The next response was more surprising. They copied the line from Page 26 of the Manual (the troubleshooting section) to justify that it is not supported. This is what they wrote:

The HD Audio (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos and DTS: X) is not output by bitstream"

The details are documented under case no. 16387007

I contacted the FB page of Sony Deutschland and I was advised to contact the UK support in the event the DE support was not helpful.

The UK technical team has asked me to run the following steps to check if the problem is solved:

In attempt to resolve the issue, please follow the below steps:

1- Unplug the device form the mains for 1 minute.

2- Disconnect any devices that are connected to it other than the TV.

3- Ensure the device has the latest software by following the below link:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800/downlo...

Furthermore, if the above does not resolve the issue follow the steps below to reset the device to factory settings:

1- Press on home button on the remote.

2- Go to Setup.

3- Go down until you reach Resetting press on it.

4-Go to Reset to Factory Default Settings and chose All Settings.

Furthermore, if the issue is still not resolve, please reply with the below details to proceed with further investigation:

- When did the issue start?

- What is your Post Code?

- What is the MAC Address?

- Was this App / Service working fine before?

- What is the internal device IP Address?

- What is the public IP addres by visiting "www.whatismyip.com"?

- What is the internet Service Provider Name?

- What is actual internet speed using "SpeedTest.net"?

- Are you using VPN / Proxy / Anonymizer / TOR service to access the Internet?

- What is the brand and model of the router?

- Is the internet connection via WiFi or it is wired? If it is WiFi, have you tried wired?

Since the device was setup for the 1st time I doubt this will resolve the issue. But still I will give a try. Once I perform this steps, I will get back to them.

If you have any other idea or comment please let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Shatabda

profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

Hello Pascale

Update from previous reply>>>>

All steps followed no gain. The problem persist.

Thanks & Regards

Shatabda

profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

Hello

@Pascale_F I am still waiting for a response from the UK technical support.

I was wondering if you would be able to help in anyway on this?

Thanks & Regards

Shatabda

profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

Hello @Peter_S.

Can you please help me on this topic?

Thanks & Regards

Shatabda

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Shatabda,

Sorry if I missed your post in German community.

Anyway, here we go...

The Netflix app in UBP-X800 currently doesn't support the bitstream output of Dolby Digital plus (DD+) encoded signals. In fact the app is converting the DD+ back to DD at high bitrate so in terms of quality you don’t loose much information but you will loose extra metadata e.g. for Dolby Atmos. So if the original content is just 5.1, the difference in sound quality won’t be noticeable but if the content is Atmos encoded, you won’t be able to get the Atmos metadata stream.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

Hello @Peter_S.

Many thanks for the reply and the clarification. Yes I understand about the metadata information loss. That was a known thing, however the DD+ was an unknown fact. Good to know that there is no loss in bitrate.

I have couple of questions:

1. Is there anyway to observe or display the bitrate information while playing Netflix? In youtube there is an inbuilt function "stat for nerds" which displays the video and audio codec information. While playing DVD/UHD the display button provides all the information. However the same can not be found in Netflix. So is it true that bitrate information is not available to a general user while viewing Netflix?

2. Regarding Meta data I would like to understand something about the device operation. Before buying the UBP-X800 I used the inbuilt Netflix and other streaming services app like Maxdome, Amazon etc on XE9005 device. While Youtube Netflix doesnt support Atmos, surprisingly Maxdome supports Atmos over bitsream through ARC. Unfortunately Maxdome app is no longer available in UBP-X800. It would have been a really good comparison to see if it is the App feature or the Sony DSP or the operating platform which is limiting this? May be you would be able to shed some light.

Thanks again for your earlier clarification.

Thanks & Regards

Shatabda

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Shatabda,

Regarding your quetsions:

1. Audio bitrate cannot be displayed in Netflix unfortunately.

2. It's the app that has the limitation. The players hardware is capable of playing this content.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.DE.title
Shatabda
Explorer

Hello Peter,

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Regards

Shatabda