Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Home - Empty app icon

profile.country.GB.title
jacek32w
Explorer

Xperia Home - Empty app icon

Today I realised new app icon withing Xperia Home. It is completely blank (just a shade around) and app does not have any name. 

Screenshot_20230530-154315~2.png

Trying to open the app or holding on it and opening more info section lead to the same - Google play "something's went wrong" screen

Screenshot_20230530-154337.png

Tried co clear cache for Xperia Home and restarting - no result. Same for Google Play Services and Google Play. 

Installed 3rd party launcher to check if it will populate this icon as well - did not. Completed full scan off the phone with Bitdefender and it says that phone is safe. Any ideas what it can be and how to get rid of the thing? 

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @jacek32w  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Which phone are you using?

Also have you updated the phone at all recently?

profile.country.GB.title
jacek32w
Explorer

@jumpsuit it is Xperia 1 III. System has been updated recently and has security updates from May 2023.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again :slight_smile:

Have you tried a software repair yet?

(I know it may not be ideal but Sony Support would probably tell you to try that first.) 

In case you're not aware of how to perform a software repair, have a look Here 

With either a reset or a software repair you may lose some personal data though and for the repair you will need to know your google account name and password.

profile.country.GB.title
milservuk
Explorer

I have the same problem with my Sony Xperia 5 III - following the latest update in May. I am not prepared to risk a loss of data currently by using the repair function, hope the issue will be rectified by a future update. When I tried to rectify the issue, the messages you encountered were identical. My phone also seemed to get very hot during the operation of trying to remove the blank app, but has settled down now after a reboot.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @milservuk  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

A member in the thread about heat issues and battery draining after the May update here 

also had a blank icon problem but they performed the software repair and this solved all of their issues. 

While performing the repair may not sound ideal to some, it seems its the only way to fix those problems at the moment. Its up to you :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jacek32w
Explorer

I have not tried yet full reset and not very keen to do it again. Just couple of weeks ago has issue with unresponsive fingerprint scanner. It was software issue and reboot was fixing it. To make permanent fix had to do full reset... Loved my Xperia from day one, but recently started hating this phone. 

Relating to the icon I assume that this is some issue with the Launcher itself. Tested since yesterday couple of 3rd party apps (like Nova Launcher and Microsoft Launcher) and any of them did not have this issue. For time being stayed with one of the alternatives and quite like it. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @jacek32w  

That's fair enough :slight_smile:

Can I ask if your phone is overheating or the battery is draining faster than normal after the update?

profile.country.GB.title
jacek32w
Explorer

Hi @jumpsuit,

I had few occasions before update when top left corner of the phone was getting hot, but quite quick cooling down. Would say normal CPU thing. 

Did not notice any issues with battery, however it seemed to drain a little bit faster after update. Since yesterday use alternative launcher and I am positively surprised with battery today.

Wonder what other app is Sony's launcher using in the background, because for me it looks like issue lays there. Yesterday cleared cache, which did not give any positive result. After tried with all launcher data, including my setting and still there was no difference (Apart of all my folders were gone and all apps mixed obviously 🤣).

On different forum seen a old thread relating to Xperia XZ and there issue was exactly like mine one and this solution apparently worked there. 

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Discussions on:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/x-series/battery-heat-issues-with-latest-system-update/td-p/3913701

and:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-remove-an-empty-app-icon.4591307/

Quick (but possibly needing to be repeatedly done) fix:

"Try disabling play store, then long press on that app, it should disappear. Then enable play store again"

Possibly permanent (but need to backup all data first and set phone up from scratch again afterwards) fix:

https://youtu.be/2YQ23k11NFc

This video shows how to repair and reinstall the software of an unresponsive ("dead") device, thus making it possible to use it again. The software repair is performed using the computer program Xperia Companion, which can be downloaded from the Sony Mobile support web site: ...