Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR31S Intel Driver problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
wihoope10
New

VGN-AR31S Intel Driver problem

HI,

I upgrded my VGN-AR31S to Windows 8. I have one yellow mark in Device Manager- namely on:

Intel(R) ICH7M/U DH LPC Interface Controller - 27BD

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I went to the Intel Web site and ran the diagnostics tools called Systems Requirments for Intel Husdawg LLC and it found a missing drive under the RAID section and I downloaded a driver as follows:

Product Detected             Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
                Current Driver Installed                             8.6.2.1022            
Newer Driver Available:                                                             11.6.0.1030                            
Download Now
                                File Size:                                                             12 KB

But it threw an error message during install saying something like "does not reach minimum requirements".

Please help me!

The intel driver log file is below:

[Install Configuration]
  Installer Version: 1.4.16.0
  Compile date = Thu Apr 19 15:38:46 2012
  OS command line = C:\Windows\Temp\IIF2\Setup.exe -IIFWrapped
  Effective command line = -IIFWrapped
  Windows Version = Windows 8
  Platform = 32 bit
  Core Version = 3.0.1 (IIF2++)

Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL.NTx86.6.2
    Description: Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
    HardwareID = iaStorA_inst_8,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
    Description: Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
    HardwareID = iaStorA_inst_8,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104
  Removed C:\Windows\Temp\IIF2\Drivers\AHCI\x32\iaAHCIC.inf
  Removed C:\Windows\Temp\IIF2\Drivers\AHCI\x32\iaStorAC.inf
  Removed C:\Windows\Temp\IIF2\Drivers\AHCI\x64\iaAHCIC.inf
  Removed C:\Windows\Temp\IIF2\Drivers\AHCI\x64\iaStorAC.inf
  Checking platform size
!   Didn't find any INF's that match active hardware
IIF will NOT initiate reboot
Exit code = 0xA005
ResultCode = 40965

".

Message was edited by: wihoope10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi William.

You will find it when you Exract the 'Original Drivers Package' which you will find under the 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities' Tab.  Download the .ZIP file. Right-click on it and choose "Extract All".  Extract to a location you can find the folder: -

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi wihoope10 and welcome.

What are the "Hardware IDs" in Device Manager for the problem device? (Properties -> Details -> Device IDs)

It will probably turn out to be something daft like the Infrared Receiver for the Media Centre Remote Control.

:thinking:

wihoope10
New

Do you mean "unknown device properties", "details", "hardware IDs"?

Screenshot:

temp.bmp

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi wihoope10,

ACPI\SNY5001 is the Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device (SFEP). 

The only version available for this model will be the original Vista driver which can be found in the original drivers package.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-AR31S/updates

Whether this will install under Windows 8 I have no idea.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
wihoope10
New

Dear rich912,

Thanks very much for your reply. I got the web page you sent me and I have all the Vista drivers, but I can't see the words "Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device (SFEP)" anywhere.

I also found this web site which claims to have a sony driver but I hate installing stuff from random web sites given it could be malare:

http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/download.php?item_id=305619455&scanid=0D8802D082294ACB95E15F067...

Device Name:

Unknown Device

Hardware ID

ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV_5001
ACPI\SNY5001
*SNY5001 <---- Device ID matches with our database

Compatible ID:

Version

,1970-01-01

Sony Firmware Extension Parser Devicesony SODFEP-00270203-0082.EXE8.0.2.4 2012-06-181.35 MB2K,XP,2K3,VISTA,WIN7,WIN8/32bits
XP,VISTA,WIN7,WIN8/64bits
Download

Please let me know what you suggest.

Many Thanks, William

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi William.

You will find it when you Exract the 'Original Drivers Package' which you will find under the 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities' Tab.  Download the .ZIP file. Right-click on it and choose "Extract All".  Extract to a location you can find the folder: -

wihoope10
New

Dear Blencogo,

I am sorry i was being blind and stupid - now I see the "SFEP" directory just like in your screen shot!

So I went to device manager, selected the unrecognised device, then updated the driver by selecting browse hard drive for driver, then navigating to the SFEP directory, and now it works fine.

So now I have no yellow icons at all in device manager and it was pretty easy to get to that point in case anyone else is thinking about upgrading an AR31S to Win 8.

Thanks very much for your help. One final thing: Windows 8 says the Bluetooth has a working driver but I can't see a bluetooth icon anywhere nor can I get my Sony Bluetooth mouse to work. I think the original Vista Bluetooth driver has compatibility issues, if you have any quick suggestions that would be great otherwise I will leave it and just use a USB mouse.

Thanks again, William

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

MY NOTES ON UPGRADING AN AR SERIES VAIO TO WINDOWS 8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If others are following: I installed the original drivers for the Video, TV capture, SFEP. The SFEP by browsing rather than running an exe. I switched into unsigned driver mode to do all this. The other drivers I needed are here:

CHIPSET:

Mobile Intel GM965 Express Chipset

XP / Vista / Win7 - 32bit / 64bit - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

RAID ARRAY:

Intel ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller (2 x TOSHIBA MK3252GSX)

XP / Vista / Win7 - 32bit / 64bit - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...ProductID=2101

CARDBUS & FLASH:

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller / Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller

XP / Vista / Win7 - 32bit / 64bit - ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/VAIO/ORI...R_2.0.0.19.ZIP

And the rest of the drivers, eg sound and modem and many other things just arrived automatically with a clean install of Windows 8.

Note I bought Windows 8 Pro Upgrade online for £30 and because I did a clearn install from USB drive I had to hack the registry to activate windows using instructions you can find online.

Windows 8 is horrible but the machine feels much faster than Vista. My general Win 8 advice is start by deleting all the apps you can from metro, upin all the others, install classic menu, then never wory about metro again. Remember too the WinKey+M shortcut for getting back into the desktop if it all goes wrong and you end in chaos. Other stuff to do includes setting the default aplications for file types to normal programs instead of childlike app so you don't jump into chaos when you click on stuff.

The bit of Windows 8 I am most thrilled with is the file manger customized with a toolbar in classic menu. I will proudly show you that in the screen shot below!

file.gif

profile.country.el_GB.title
dimkatik
Visitor

thank you all for the help. It's been a long time to found this driver.