Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with my VAIO. Need some advice.

profile.country.en_GB.title
lgaianu
Visitor

Problems with my VAIO. Need some advice.

Hi,

I bought a VAIO VPCSB in September last week. I didn't like how it perform from the beginning, being pretty slow and the system was freezing very often. Anyway, I suspected the operating system and all the pre-installed useless utilities that it came with and I planed to do a fresh windows install when I had time.

I didn't get to do that because after one month or so the fan started to make loud and strange noises. After 2 days the notebook was fully worthless, being incredibly slow and shutting down after 10 minutes of use. I sent it to the SONY repair center and they sent it back to me with a changed fan.

It was working again, but slow as before, so I decided to make a fresh windows installation on it, but the problem wasn't solved. I even installed some video games on it in order to see how it performed (not the kind of video games for which you need a rocket PC to run them). I was not surprised to see that it was impossible to play, because it was freezing about 1 second every 4-6 seconds. I made tests on each component in the VAIO Care utility, but nothing was reported, except that the HDD test took 14 hours to finish. I decided to send it back to the repair center and I told them that I suspect the HDD to be broken. It came back to me with the HDD replaced.

I was sure that all the problems were ended but to my despair there were not. It is slow like before, freezing occassionally, and is very annoying for a top-class laptop. My other notebook, a HP ProBook with poorer components and half cheaper than the VAIO is performing way better.

I don't know what else to do with it in order to get it work properly. I am pretty angry because it went 2 times to the repair center and they weren't able to do something with it. Please give me some advice of what else can I do. Thank you for your support.

Lucian

Message was edited by: -Cass-

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

I would suggest you return the item as not fit for purpose - assuming you purchased it from an authorised Sony retailer

You can do this under the sale of goods act - google it and check out the Which? website for lots of advice on how to deal with large corporations selling sub standard electrical products

Whatever you do I would not pass it back to them to have a look and try to repair

From what you say it appears there is an inherent fault issue with the laptop and a new laptop shouldnt start freezing and hanging when its new

If the retailer does not play ball you may want to shell out for an independent engineers report which may confirm what I have stated but you will have to pay for this yourself and then present it to the retailer as evidence that you laptop has an inherent fault

This will be refunded to you if they agree to replace with a new one

Oh and if you have purchased from a high street retailer do not in any circumstances listen to any advice from them saying you need to take up the matter with Sony direct

The sales contract is between you and the retailer and as such they have the responsibility to ensure all goods they sell are fit for purpose

Again there is heaps of advice on such matters on the internet and good luck

profile.country.nl_NL.title
ehcruz
Visitor

I am also typing now from a extremely annoying almost useless Vaio VPCSB that i bought around May 2011 in NL. In 2012 the hard disk crashed and had to buy a new one. The issue is that my troubles did not stop there as for the latest months the computer started to slow down and freeze while in use. I decided to reinstal the operational system but afterwards the laptop continues as slow as before. I am really fed up with this situation as I paid 1000euros for an expected good quality that became just rubbish in less than 2 years. It is really frustrating being unable to work because it take years to start any program. I will have to rush to buy another laptop and for sure it is not going to be Sony and will never be again.

Message was edited by: ehcruz