Join now - be part of our community!

My Vaio keeps disconnecting!

calum37
Visitor

My Vaio keeps disconnecting!

Hello! I have a Sony Vaio NS serioes laptop.
When I have been on the internet for a while it simply disconnects and does not let me reconnect unless my laptop is restarted. I could disconnect the wireless and retry but again, unless I restart the laptop it simply wont work.
What is confusing is that it isn't an ISP issue as we have several other computers that never disconnect hence why I'm a bit baffled about this.
Also, when I can't use the internet programs such as MSN messenger still work fine.

Apologies if this is not the suitable area to post.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi calum37 and welcome.

You are posting in the right place.

I think I would start by updating the wireless driver. Have a look in Device Manager -> Network Adapters and find the name of your wireless card (Intel or Atheros).

We have seen others with the Intel card having this problem and it seems to be improved by installing the latest Intel driver Ver 12.4.0.0

If that doesn't work, come back and we can look at something else.

:wink:

calum37
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply!
I went onto the device manager and according to this I have an Intel(R) Wireless WiFi link 5100.
I right clicked and then update driver software but apparently it is up to date..
However, under the network adaptors tab there is a sub heading 6T04 adapter which apparently cannot start for whatever reason.
Whether or not this has any relevance to my problem I really don't know :P.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

Edit: I've just noticed that although it says my driver is up to date, it says that it is version 12.0.0.73 ...

annak57
Visitor

hi there,

i have been experiencing the same problem on the vaio aw and fw series, not to the point were i have to restart but all the same it's not good.

would be keen to hear any more tips and advice, as i also tried updating the latest intel driver but it says it is up to date on 12.1.0.14!

any more ideas would be welcome

thanks

anna x

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Callum,

You can find the latest driver on the Intel download site for WiFi Link 5100 here: -

Intel® WiFi Link 5300 and Intel® WiFi Link 5100 products

This sort of problem is difficult to solve but hopefully the driver will help. If not you can try the following: -

Start Button -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Manage Wireless Networks
Right-Click on your Network and choose Properties

1. Turn off the TCP/IP IPv6 option

2. On the Connection Tab, UNCHECK 'Connect to a more preferred network if available'. Make sure the other two boxes are checked.

3. In Device Manager double-click on your 5100 adapter and select the 'Power Management' Tab. Make sure the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is UNCHECKED.

Not guaranteed fixes - but well worth a try!

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Anna and welcome.

Can you check in Device Manager what type or wireless adapter you have installed?

Thanks

:thinking:

calum37
Visitor

Thats great, I've updated the driver now and unchecked all the boxes you said :slight_smile:
I'll make sure I report back as to how I get on.

Cheers for your help, really much appreciated as it is a pain!

calum37
Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions.
I done everything you said however it still seems to be cutting off...
Reckon there might be any other cause for this?

TheDarkHorse
Visitor

Hi Callum, you have my sympathy as I have exactly the same problem and it is driving me crazy! I bought a new VGN TT11VN and te problem started immediately. I complained to the Sony Centre where I purchased the machine and eventualy they gave me a new one whilst continuin to deny a problem existd ! My replacvement machine worked beter for a while but now has the same problem. I know it is the machine NOT my network or Internet as my OLD VGN T2XP works fine sitting next to the new machine. If you find a solution I will be so happy!

profile.country.en_GB.title
pachapm36
Visitor

My Vaio kept disconnecting too. Turns out my WiFi was being hijacked by a leech :devil: for free. I set up security and dumped the freeloader off my network. :laughing: Now I have all my bandwidth back for me.

I now have WPA(2) running on my WiFi and no non paying freeloaders hogging my router :slight_smile: