Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-N21S/W is dead... What's the 'official' life expectancy?

blindingphil
Visitor

VGN-N21S/W is dead... What's the 'official' life expectancy?

Hiya!

Posted this already on the FB group (I am a fan!) but wanted to see it in the official place as well, just in case any members here may have had similar problems and are not yet hooked up with the group :slight_smile:

Had a problem with my N21S last week. I was using it on a flat clean desk with mains power (battery also in place) and all of a sudden the screen went 'odd'. There were graphical glitches at regular intervals across the screen, and there was no visible response from any input device (caps light, monitor, etc.).

I shut down with 4 seconds on the power button, and tried to restart. It wouldn't. Got a light from the power, HD light came on for maybe a second as *that* got power, then went off. HD is turning, but no activity and no power to the screen. All three of the 'lock' lights are on.

I did do the power-purge thing as well, by the way. Battery removed, 15 seconds on power button before I tried again.

I've looked around various forums and tried the memory, HD, BIOS battery... Everything I can think of. Still nothing.

My assumption is that either the graphics chip has gone, or the motherboard in general has died.

My question is - does anyone have any further advice on troubleshooting?
Failing that, what is the life expectancy of a Sony Vaio? My old one lasted a good three years or so until I dropped it and broke the PCMCIA slot which I couldn't do without (no built-in wireless). This was received in August 2007, so only just over 2 years old, and it was unused for about 6 months until a month ago when I installed Windows 7.

Thanks for any help you may have!

Phil

PS - not mentioned on Facebook, the main reason I am asking is because I spoke to a representative of the people I got the lappy from regarding the Sale Of Goods Act (1979 - amended) and he said the quoted 6 years is just a guideline and a statute of limitation on the supplier's liability. The only important thing is how long the goods are 'designed' to last by the manufacturer.
I need someone to say in an official capacity that these goods are indeed 'designed' to last longer than 28 months!
Thanks again :slight_smile:

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi blindingphil,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Doesn't sound good.. :slight_frown:

Are you able to enter the BIOS.?

To enter the BIOS restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F2 key repeatedly..

To exit the BIOS press F9 to reset the BIOS to default and press F10 to save and exit..

I need someone to say in an official capacity that these goods are indeed 'designed' to last longer than 28 months!

This is a user forum so you'll not get an 'official' Sony response here I'm afraid, however as far as I am aware the maximum guarantee that I've seen offered with a VAIO at point of sale is 24 months but this varies from country to country..

blindingphil
Visitor

Hi Thalamus - I've been here for years, but thanks for the welcome :wink:

I'm not able to do anything. As mentioned before, no power to the screen so it doesn't even come on, which means there is no logo to press F2 at. It's just not working, except I can see there is definitely power going through when I try to turn it on and I can hear the HD start to turn, but it is not being accessed.

I wasn't really expecting an official reply from Sony here, but I was hoping that someone could tell me how long I should expect my VAIO to last?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Thalamus - I've been here for years, but thanks for the welcome :wink:

Ah perhaps I should have put welcome back.. :smileygrin:

I'm not able to do anything.  As mentioned before, no power to the screen so it doesn't even come on, which means there is no logo to press F2 at.  It's just not working, except I can see there is definitely power going through when I try to turn it on and I can hear the HD start to turn, but it is not being accessed.

I wasn't really expecting an official reply from Sony here, but I was hoping that someone could tell me how long I should expect my VAIO to last?

I doubt it'll make any difference but have you tried attaching an external monitor to your Vaio.?

blindingphil
Visitor

Your doubts are well-founded! Should have mentioned I'd already tried that one as well with no luck. Tried it again just now (just for you!) and no signal being sent from the laptop.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Not much more I can suggest that you haven't already tried I'm afraid blindingphil.. :slight_frown:

Unless anyone else has any ideas, I suggest you either see if a local repairer in your area can diagnose the problem and quote for repair.

Or

Arrange for your vaio to be repaired via Sony Vaio support..

To find contact details for Sony Vaio support either click Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 2: Select your VAIO model, next to Select Model Category - Select your model from the drop down list, in your case VGN N.

Then next to Select Model - select N21S/W

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch.

blindingphil
Visitor

Yeah.... Already got a quote from them last week. It'll be cheaper to buy a new laptop! At least £225.73, but not knowing exactly what the problem it, it may also be £375.88 or £764.19 depending on the fault.

For a laptop that's outdated to over 2 years, it's not worth even the lowest fee.

Cheers for your help though!

And lastly, on average, how long is a laptop's life-expectancy? That is the title of the thread, after all :wink:

Phil

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Phil,

I don't know the official Sony life expectancy.

If you do a search on Google you'll find a whole range of responses concerning the life expectancy of a laptop, have you asked Sony support the same question.?

I did find this site that may be of interest:- Life expectancy of a laptop computer