Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FE31M and Vista Ultimate x64

wooderz
Visitor

VGN-FE31M and Vista Ultimate x64

Hi all, a little help please?

I have Vista Ultimate x64 installed on my VGN-FE31M and have 3 devices that aren't installed properly.

"Mass Storage Controller"
"Unknown Device"
"USB 2.0 Web Camera"

Any ideas where I can get installers for these?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
MattWilson
Visitor

Hi all, a little help please?

I have Vista Ultimate x64 installed on my VGN-FE31M and have 3 devices that aren't installed properly.

"Mass Storage Controller"
"Unknown Device"
"USB 2.0 Web Camera"

Any ideas where I can get installers for these?

Thanks

I am afraid that 64bit drivers are very difficult to come by as it is still a very new technology and only a very small proportion of people are using it.

The mass storage controller should be a vista own driver so that is a bit odd.

:thinking:

wooderz
Visitor

I know it's new, but my Laptop says Vista Capable and is a 64 bit processor, so maybe I wrongly opted for that.

Is it a case of leave it until someone out there writes an x64 driver? I sincerely hope not, these things shouldn't be released if the infrastructure isn't out to cope with them!

MattWilson
Visitor

You have a "64bit capable" processor but it is no truely 64bit.

There has been little demand for 64bit because it is relievely untested and you lose the advantage gained by having the dual core processor.

Servers are mainly 64bit now and in 2 years or so 64bit will be fairly common and there will be lots of 64bit driver releases.

Until then i would stick with 32bit and upgrade when the support is available (Sony doesn't support 64bit at the moment)

:slight_smile:

wooderz
Visitor

So the fact it says the CPU is x64 and x64 Windows has installed no problems means it isn't x64? Not being facecious (sp) but I am confused. This version of Windows has cost me over £400 ($800 approx) so you can see why I'm annoyed if my software vendor has bum sold me

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unless you have bought an OEM version, your Vista Ultimate disc will carry both 32 and 64-bit versions - the price is the same for both. The Core 2 Duo processor is capable of running the 64-bit edition so the Vista Ultimate 64-bit will technically run on your Vaio.

However, Matt is right - the support is not available for 64-bit systems and it is really only of use to someone experimenting with the system and who sadistically likes searching for non-existent drivers. It is unlikely you will find all the drivers required and most of your existing software won't run either.

This is undoubtably the way of the future and in two years or so it may be a viable option.

At least you have the software to upgrade when the time is right.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sony do not support 64bit Vista yet, so they've not written drivers for it.

wooderz
Visitor

Great so basically I've been conned. Yes it is OEM, my local vendor said it would be fine. I'll take it back, slap him and get x86.

Second question. Should Vista be using 46% RAM (or so Sidebar tells me) when it's just booted and is doing nothing? Or is this again 64bit?

Thanks for your help all

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi,

Thought Blencogo said that there was both versions on the DVD?

Vista uses 760MB when I boot up, it's crazy!

MattWilson
Visitor

Great so basically I've been conned. Yes it is OEM, my local vendor said it would be fine. I'll take it back, slap him and get x86.

Second question. Should Vista be using 46% RAM (or so Sidebar tells me) when it's just booted and is doing nothing? Or is this again 64bit?

Thanks for your help all

Somewhere between 400 and 800MB of RAM usage idle is perfectly normal. It would be a little less without some of the sony utilities but if you have 2GB of RAM it really doesn't make much difference.

:slight_smile: