Join now - be part of our community!

New Member / New PCV-RZ Owner

RickCrider
Visitor

New Member / New PCV-RZ Owner

New member here......from the Charlotte NC area.....introducing myself......

I've owned a variety of Sony products over the years.....been generally pleased with them....

Just today have configured and ordered a new PCV-RZ series desktop machine...... P4/2.4G, 1Gddr, 120G HD, Gigapocket, XP Pro, and also substituted the new (?) DRU-500A DVD burner in place of the one that was standard......

....now....in hindsight....I'm back at home, enthralled with the new PC that should be here in a couple of weeks. Thought I'd browse around and read a bit about the RZ series in general, the DRU-500A and the gigapocket feature....(which I'd never heard but it came with the machine....)

Not finding a whole lot just yet about this RZ Digital Studio series nor the DVD burner, though I've found a bit about the GigaPocket....

I certainly hope that I haven't purchased a red-headed stepchild from Sony.....

I'll browse around the site a bit and check back in later also.....

Greetings to all.....

Rick Crider

6 REPLIES 6
EzDoezIt
Visitor

Hello Rick! Welcome to club VAIO.

Congratulations on your purchase of the new RZ series, I'm so envious :!:

You made the right decision going for the new DVD drive that supports both DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Whichever format wins out, you'll be okay. :slight_smile:

The GigaPocket is a great feature and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. What specifically are you concerned about? (What exactly is a red-headed stepchild??)

chronos
Visitor

I also baught an RZ resently and I love it. Im shure you will too. Have fun!

smsmasters
Visitor

i got an rx 305. pentium 4 2.0aghz, 512mb ddr ram. 80gigs HD, 17" tft monitor. adsl modem. labtec 2.1 speakers. hercules 5.1 gamesurround soundcard. is this good enough. how much more powerful is the rz series? does it reall matter? is the speed difference small? :anguished:

im kinda annoyed coz i spent a lot of dosh on this pc and ders a new one already out. im so jealous

RickCrider
Visitor

Hey....thanks troops.....

I had not posted again, as the computer had not arrived yet.....but.....it appeared yesterday (Friday, 11/:smileycool:. I'm in the process of setting it up now......as I write though, I am still on the soon to be 'former' machine.

In the few hours the new RX has been up and running, all has been a pure joy....no problems, burps, belches, etc.....whatsoever. Fingers crossed. All feels good with it though. *Lots* of stuff to move over from the old one. It'll take me several days to get it fully loaded, preferences set, and feeling like 'home'.

Thanks for the welcome.....I'll be dropping in I'm sure as I get to know the new beast.

Later...
Rick Crider

EzDoezIt
Visitor

Rick, happy happy joy joy!! :smileygrin:

smsmasters, you have a great machine, be happy with it. I paid a lot of money for a brand spanking new RX590G and within six weeks they released the RX600 series and dropped the price on mine by US$1,000!!!!!!! Then not three months later they released the RX700 series. Hoo boy! And now the RZ series is out, all in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's impossible to keep up. All I can say is that my RX590G does everything I want it to, so I am happy. In a year or two I may well upgrade if I find the need to have both DVD-RW and DVD+RW formats.

ultraVAIOlent
Visitor

hey there rick,
congrats on the new vaio purchase. i too plan on upgrading my dino-puter to a brand spankin new RZ series (16g to be exact). it says in your first post that you have the RZ, and in your second it reads RX. if it is infact an RZ could you please please please tell me as much as you can about it? the good and te bad (although lets hope the bad isnt so bad) in as much detail that your free time will allow? also what are the major spec. difs. between the stock dvd slot and the one you upgraded to? i may follow your lead if the difs. are substantial.

thanks in advance,

ultra