Join now - be part of our community!

Networking?? sharing one adsl connection

smsmasters
Visitor

Networking?? sharing one adsl connection

I have a usb adsl modem, freedom2surf 512 adsl and i have a laptop and desktop pc both running windows xp. I tried using a crossover cable and internet connection sharing but it ALWAYS says "network cable is unplugged". Why is this???

It's extremely difficult to just network two pcs. Can someone pls point me in the right direction. i don't want to use a router, just internet connection sharing.

24 REPLIES 24
A-PaLm
Visitor

try getting a second utp cable to test and make sure. If your network card is properly installed and not disabled inside the device manager then either it is cable or connector.

Let me know when you tested it with a new cable.... just to make sure.

cheers

ps does things can turn a man insane :wink: :devil:

smsmasters
Visitor

what is a "utp cable"??? if a second cable doesnt work what else should i try please

A-PaLm
Visitor

just a new crossover cable :smileygrin:

EzDoezIt
Visitor

It is easy to tell a crossover from a straight-through cable.

Hold the two plastic RJ45 plugs of the cable together. The order of the coloured wires in the plugs are the same for a straight-through.

You need a crossover cable and it must be CAT5 or CAT6. Cable is cheap. Buy another one and test with it.

A-PaLm
Visitor

tnx eddie for the excellent explenation :cool:

smsmasters
Visitor

im gonna buy a crossover cable 2moro. ill let u all know how i get on. many thanks to everyone who helped me :smileygrin:

smsmasters
Visitor

hey, i bought a crossover cable and VOILA. i have a working network. i can share files etc. and my two computers now share one internet connection. thanks to all who helped me get thru this predicament.

cheers :smileygrin:

EzDoezIt
Visitor

Yay! I'm glad you got it sorted out. :smileygrin:

smsmasters
Visitor

but some instant messaging programs such as AIM dont work properly. im kinda worried about the security of my pc. the ics host has sygate personal firewall.

how secure is my system?

A-PaLm
Visitor

Nice to see it all worked out, somethimes it are the simple things :laughing: