Join now - be part of our community!

Networking?? sharing one adsl connection

smsmasters
Visitor

Networking?? sharing one adsl connection

I have a usb adsl modem, freedom2surf 512 adsl and i have a laptop and desktop pc both running windows xp. I tried using a crossover cable and internet connection sharing but it ALWAYS says "network cable is unplugged". Why is this???

It's extremely difficult to just network two pcs. Can someone pls point me in the right direction. i don't want to use a router, just internet connection sharing.

24 REPLIES 24
EzDoezIt
Visitor

Tell us more about your setup.

Which computer is doing the ICS and what network cards are you using?

What model VAIOs and Operating Systems are you using?

ICS can be very fussy, but once you get it working it is fairly reliable. Personally I just use a 10/100 switch to share my DSL modem between four desktops.

A-PaLm
Visitor

Hi there, Do the both systems have I-link? The it is also possible to make a internet connection sharing true I-link.

Some tips about setting up internet connection sharing in xp:

xp home: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/ics.asp
xp pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/ics.asp

cheers

smsmasters
Visitor

my sony vaio rx305 is the ics host running windows xp home. my laptop is the client. i want to network the two pcs in order to share files/printers and to share my adsl connection.

i went into network setup wizard but it the taskbar it always says "network cable is unplugged" my cables are properly plugged into the nics.

i am extremely confused. someone pls help

cheers

A-PaLm
Visitor

hmmm are the cables ok... I know it is like 1 percent out of a 100 but....

Are all protocols installed on the network card, since you are working with a usb adsl modem??

Did you check devicemanager if all drivers are correctly installed?

In short for this issue there can be allot of factors involved.

smsmasters
Visitor

yes, all protocols are installed and checked in the nic. no conflicts in device manager. its just that in the taskbar it says "network cable is unplugged"

A-PaLm
Visitor

on wich unit is it saying network cable unplugged. On the client or server?? It can be that the server who is attached with the usb adsl modem has automaticly disabled the network adapter inside device manager. Double click on the network adapter inside device manager and see if the device is not disabled "for server".

Question: if you unplug the usb adsl modem and try to connect to the client. Does it work?

smsmasters
Visitor

do u think the problem lies in my ethernet cable. im not sure if its crossover or not. how can i distinguish

smsmasters
Visitor

it says that the network cable is unplugged on both machines. the ics host and client :thinking:

smsmasters
Visitor

no luck, i tried it without the adsl modem connection and it stll says "network cable is unplugged"

do u think i should buy crossover cables?