Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with transferring contacts from my old phone

SOLVED
Jarno
Visitor

Problem with transferring contacts from my old phone

Hi

I bought the Xperia M yesterday, everything is fine except for one thing: my contacts
For some reason no matter what I do my contact list stays empty...

First of all I tried the 'Contact Setup' in Sony PC Companion and followed the instructions but for some bizarre reason the program doesn't detect anything after I've plugged in my old phone. (old phone = NOKIA)

After that failed, I tried looking for a solution on my phone and I found an "import' button so I tried and it seemed to be working (it actually said it was importing my contacts from the SIM card) but when it's finished my contact list remains empty? 

However, if someone sends me a text it does show me who it is, which I do not understand.

Finally, I thought I'll just add the contacts manually but even then no contacts show up in my contact list. This is all very confusing, I don't know what to do anymore.

Any advice/solution/questions? 
Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
greenphone
Visitor

Try this:

Export the contacts from your old phone to your computer, either through a data cable or bluetooth.

This should generate an .vcf file.

Save the .vcf file in the "my documents" folder on your PC.

Then open the PC Companion> contact setup and select "i only want to copy contacts from my computer".

Under the "vCards from my documents" select the .vcf file you just saved to your documents and you should see the contacts from your old phone.

Then folow the instructions to copy the contacts to your Xperia M.

This will save the contacts on your SD card or internal memory on your phone.

So, you will go to contacts> import contacts from SD card or internal memory and it should find the .vcf file with your ontacts.

hope it works for you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
greenphone
Visitor

Try this:

Export the contacts from your old phone to your computer, either through a data cable or bluetooth.

This should generate an .vcf file.

Save the .vcf file in the "my documents" folder on your PC.

Then open the PC Companion> contact setup and select "i only want to copy contacts from my computer".

Under the "vCards from my documents" select the .vcf file you just saved to your documents and you should see the contacts from your old phone.

Then folow the instructions to copy the contacts to your Xperia M.

This will save the contacts on your SD card or internal memory on your phone.

So, you will go to contacts> import contacts from SD card or internal memory and it should find the .vcf file with your ontacts.

hope it works for you.

Jarno
Visitor

Not positive if I exactly did what you told me but I installed Nokia PC Suite and was finally able to sync my contacts with my PC, from there on it was pretty easy Slightly_smiling_Face 

Thanks for the help!