Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP X800M2 (audio format not supported!)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
john30011887
Explorer

Sony UBP X800M2 (audio format not supported!)

So i just got this player today and to my surprise it just out right refuses to play Dolby Atmos from MKV files either from a usb or burned to a disk.

I did not expect this since even my mothers cheap LG UBK80 plays them perfectly and yet that player is less than half what i payed for this sony one

Any chance of a firmware update to support the format on disks/usb with Mkv files

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
john30011887
Explorer

I found a temp workaround though, its to change the container format from .mkv to m2ts, this way i can keep Dolby Atmos and it plays properly now,

But tbh i shouldn't need to do things like this if Sony would just push an update to allow the support :slight_smile:

Edit as of 24/12/2021 - extra solution is to ignore the dumb user Sonyvores, they bumped there head too much,

3 weeks later after my last post i said i have my solution and yet they feel the need to troll yet again with there stupid assumptions that are un-wanted and asked for.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @john30011887,

as .mkv is just a container, it is possible, the audio codec within the file is one of the few the Sony UBP-X800II doesn't support.

Have you checked which audio format is "packed" into the particular .mkv file you are trying to play?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
john30011887
Explorer

I found a temp workaround though, its to change the container format from .mkv to m2ts, this way i can keep Dolby Atmos and it plays properly now,

But tbh i shouldn't need to do things like this if Sony would just push an update to allow the support :slight_smile:

Edit as of 24/12/2021 - extra solution is to ignore the dumb user Sonyvores, they bumped there head too much,

3 weeks later after my last post i said i have my solution and yet they feel the need to troll yet again with there stupid assumptions that are un-wanted and asked for.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Well you bought a BR/UHD player its purpose is to play physical media. Playing MKV found on the internet... doesn't make sence.

Better buy an Android box.

profile.country.GB.title
john30011887
Explorer

@Sonyvores 

I guess there always has to be at least one narrow minded person in a forum to make assumptions on what another person does.

And fyi, i did not buy a Sony bluray player to just play physical media, if that was the case then Sony wouldn't bother adding bluetooth, or a usb drive, or even add many other video and audio formats from mobile phones to high end 4k disks,

and to add, the content i was testing is from my own backups

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Yeah sure you can do a lot of stuff, like listenning to music, watching streaming video services or even your own private family video but watching "illegal" copies of movies are not.

Maybe you don't see the bigger picture as Sony has a sister company called "Sony Pictures" and that implies obvious severe restrictions that sony electronics can't avoid on playback compatibility files 🙄

Oh so you're doing a back up? you should read more about copyright laws. Do you know you just fried yourself saying that? Sure you can rip your disc but in order to do that you need to break copy protection and THAT is totally illegal. Nobody on an official forum will help you more on that road and certainly not Sony.

And btw making a back up of a 4K UHD into a lower mkv file? WHY? It doesn't make any sense. If you were talking about iso it would make more sence.

You should have understood by now that your request can only face a wall from Sony.

Your cheap LG can play those files, just go on with it for digital files and use the Sony for physical media.

As I said earlier if you wanna play such "back up" files, there is only one way to go => android box. Spend you time enjoying your movies instead of wasting your time requesting something that won't happen for obvious reasons.

profile.country.GB.title
john30011887
Explorer

Yet again you assume i'm watching "illegal copies" which i am not, 

and clearly you don't understand nothing about backups, there is zero crime in backing up any of my purchased movies etc for personal use, its only a crime if i were to say here friends of the world, here is my copy.

and  yet again you make even more dumb assumptions about what i do, sorry but i don't remember you in my house sitting next to me on my pc, where did i say i'm backing up a 4k disk to a lower mkv file, and if i did do that with 4k, whats it to you if i would want a smaller mkv sizes,

many in this world use smaller sizes to fit on hdd or ssd or even pen drives and disks etc

As i said already too, i found a workaround to use m2ts format

Don't talk to me anymore, you have nothing of use to say to me!

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

I'm not assuming, YOU ARE and you're saying it out loud 🤣🤣🤣 and I explained to you why but you're just stuck in his own belief.

That's why nobody can help you here

profile.country.GB.title
Darkboots
New

Hi there, I realise this is an old post but just noticed this. Sorry to say what you fail to understand is even making backups of your own blu ray library is against the law. Even if it is just for your own use,  it is still against the law.. you may not like this but it is a fact. Just copying a blu ray disc is against the law, even if you bought the disc. Regardless of intended use.