Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DSC-HX5V - Audio Problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
michaelstevenharris
Visitor

Sony DSC-HX5V - Audio Problem

Does anyone else own this camera or a similar model??

I bought a brand new DSC-HX5V recently and had it replaced due to the fact that the audio it's movies produces makes various whistling and clicking sounds!
These sounds are amplified massively if you cover the microphone holes, which ironically is what a lot of people say to do, with various materials, to obtain better audio quality by reducing wind noise.

Unfortunately the replacement camera shares the same audio problem.

I've posted a couple of videos here if you would be so kind enough to check them and see if it is the same as on your HX5V or similar:

http://www.youtube.com/mharrisvideos

Anyway, I've looked at various other videos online and the problem doesn't seem too apparent on any of them, I can't hear anyone talking about it on the internet.  I've already tried all the video settings, different memory cards etc. and nothing seems to change it.

If anyone has this camera or a similar model and can give me their opinion on the audio it'd be great!

Thanks a lot !

Michael

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.it_IT.title
baldovino3
New

i confirm everything You wrote, as i have same problems, what a pity

becouse camera its very good for pictures and video hd, the only problem

is audio, i tryed to cover the holes the noise is worse. so no chance

i think the microphone is too much sensitive, unbelieveble Sony

didnt give the option to reduce sensibility.

Baldovino

profile.country.en_GB.title
goldfingers2
Visitor

hi if you drag and drop the file onto your desktop it should solve the problem i think its because the data transfer is too slow from the memory card but on your computer direct playing should be faster hope this helps

kev.

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

I have the DSC-HX9V and it does exhibit a similar problem, but only in extremely quiet situations.

The microphones are controlled by an AGC (automatic gain control) circuit which varies their sensitivity depending on the ambient noise level.

I do get the occasional click in quiet locations, when the sound of the zoom lens motor operating, can also be heard.

However, most of time there is sufficient ambient noise around to trigger the AGC to lower the sensitivity and the unwanted noise problems are not heard.

Without AGC, the microphone circuits would be vastly overloaded in noisy situations and severe sound distortion would occur.

This is also the reason why covering the microphones to shield from wind noise, has the reverse affect.