Join now - be part of our community!

My DSC-W55 is stuck in the clock set mode - what to do?

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
callemoss
Visitor

My DSC-W55 is stuck in the clock set mode - what to do?

My DSC-W55 when opened only shows the clock set mode. Trying to take pictures fail, the clock set image prevails. Anyone been having the same problem? Anyone knows what to do about it? Is it time for my camera to 'join its makers', so to say?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
Jules74
Visitor

Hi callemoss,

I am not sure, if I understood your problem correctly...

When you turn the camera on and "clock set mode" appears, are you able to set date and time? If the camera is froozen and you cannot set date and time, it looks like a defect.

In case you can set date and time and after that you are able to take pictures again, try the following:

Recharge the battery complete, put it into the W55, turn it on, set date and time, turn it off again and wait 12-24 hours.

The reason for that is the following:

Usually cameras have a small, second battery inside that remembers date and time when the normal battery is empty or placed outside the camera for a longer time. This internal battery is automatically recharged by the normal battery, but when the camera is old or was not used for a long time the internal battery might be defective or just very, very empty.

When turning the camera back on after having a fully recharged inserted for a longer time, the internal battery may have recharged  and normal operation will be possible again.

Good luck!

Jules

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello callemoss - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I would usually advise a full camera reset in these circumstances and this will be possible only if you can get into the camera set up menu. If, as you say, the camera is completely frozen in the 'clock set mode', this will be impossible.

You could try removing the battery from the camera and leaving it out for 15 minutes or so to see if this resets the camera.

Thanks,

Simon

callemoss
Visitor

Hello Simon!

I've already tried disconnecting the battery several times  without success. So, I guess it is time to get myself another camera.

Thanks for your help, Simon!

Callemoss

profile.country.de_DE.title
Jules74
Visitor

Hi callemoss,

I am not sure, if I understood your problem correctly...

When you turn the camera on and "clock set mode" appears, are you able to set date and time? If the camera is froozen and you cannot set date and time, it looks like a defect.

In case you can set date and time and after that you are able to take pictures again, try the following:

Recharge the battery complete, put it into the W55, turn it on, set date and time, turn it off again and wait 12-24 hours.

The reason for that is the following:

Usually cameras have a small, second battery inside that remembers date and time when the normal battery is empty or placed outside the camera for a longer time. This internal battery is automatically recharged by the normal battery, but when the camera is old or was not used for a long time the internal battery might be defective or just very, very empty.

When turning the camera back on after having a fully recharged inserted for a longer time, the internal battery may have recharged  and normal operation will be possible again.

Good luck!

Jules

callemoss
Visitor

Dear Jules!

I tried your method a couple of times and much to my surprised happines it finally worked!!!

Thank you so much - i now hav two working cameras :slight_smile:

Calle