Join now - be part of our community!

Extremely bright reds HX100V

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
davidbrianwood
Visitor

Extremely bright reds HX100V

I bought an HX100V just two months back and it has always given me extremely bright reds on all photos in any mode (except B&W or sepia).  This is automatic or manual.

Is there a setting I can adjust to fix this, or does my camera have a problem?

Thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello David - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

For your camera, have you tried adjusting the white balance? This will have an impact on all colours so I would advise you to try experimenting with this setting to see if the pictures improve. There is some information specific for your camera here:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX100V_guide/eng/contents/06/02/10/10.html

Hope this helps,

Simon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello David - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

For your camera, have you tried adjusting the white balance? This will have an impact on all colours so I would advise you to try experimenting with this setting to see if the pictures improve. There is some information specific for your camera here:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX100V_guide/eng/contents/06/02/10/10.html

Hope this helps,

Simon

davidbrianwood
Visitor

Hi Simon

thanks for the reply.  In fact I have adjusted the white balance, though I may give it another go.  It's strange that all other colours including the whites are fine, and only my reds are extremely bright.  I've used both manual WB setting and automatic, and taken shots under natural light and indoor lights - all with this extremely bright red problem.

I'll fiddle with the settings again over this weekend, and hope that even if it works that it doesn't mean i have to adjust WB every time I take the camera out!

David

davidbrianwood
Visitor

Hello again

I know it's been a while since your last reply so you probably imagined I would have fixed this problem (not that you'd have thought about it at all I imagine!).  however I can't work this out at all. I do understand the idea of WB, and I've found the various buttons and settings - but really nothing I do is having any effect on these astonishing reds.  It cannot be correct that I would have to attempt to fix this every time i use the camera, depending on the lighting conditions.  So far i have not corrected this problem at all.  Any chance of a step by step guide?  The in-camera guide doesn't help at all.

Thanks very much for any thoughts

David Wood

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again David :slight_smile:

I think in this situation the best thing for you to do would be to paste some of these images into your next reply (there is a button in the message toolbar above the text box with a camera logo - this will get your images into the message). If possible, could you try taking multiple shots of the same object and make a brief note for each picture stating which of the colour modes / white balance settings you have used for each image. It only needs to be a few examples of perhaps the shots that are giving you the most profound effect. I appreciate it will take a bit of time to get these together and uploaded but it really will be the best way to try and offer a solution and if necessary I can get a second/third/fourth opinion!

If you would rather not share your photos on this public space feel free to send me a private message and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Simon

davidbrianwood
Visitor

Image 0388 was taken with my mobile phone, an HTC, as it is the only way I can get what I regard as a correct 'red' - in this case the back of our orangey-red sofa.

00780 was taken with the Cybershot.  f2.8 1/30 sec ISO 200, brightness -0.725.  Program mode

00831 f2.8  1/20 sec,  ISO 800, no flash, brightness -0.158

I don't know if this information is what you need to provide any more help but I certainly hope so.  I've been trying to use this camera in every mode possible and adjusting settings in every way I can - but i still cannot remove this extreme redness problem.  It's there with flash or no flash and in whatever camera mode I'm using.

Thanks again

David Wood

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello David :slight_smile:

Many thanks for providing some examples.

As I mentioned earlier, I am now going to get some contacts of mine to take a look at these and I will let you know as soon as we have any suggestions for you.

Regards,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

I think the easiest way to avoid strongly saturated red tones is to switch color mode from "Standard" to "Real"

See desription in the online manual:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX100V_guide/eng/contents/06/02/22/22.html

davidbrianwood
Visitor

Thanks for this reply.  In fact I found the answer some time back, but sadly not through this forum.  The problem lies with the LCD screen, and not the actual photos.  When viewed on my computer the pictures are actually fine, but every picture on the screen is absurdly bright, and no mode change makes any difference.  This problem was spotted by other users and has been made known to Sony, but unfortunately Sony refuses to acknowledge that this known problem exists.

David

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

you are right, the camera LCD is setup to show a very "vivid" and high contrast image, which is a little too much for some taste and you can not judge color rendering very good with it. However I think most people just prefer this kind of "pop colors".

I did a quick test (I have no HX100 but a HX9, from same generation) and took a photo of a color test chart, then opened this file on a PC with a calibrated monitor, and took a photo of the HX9 displaying this image in front of the monitor, see attachment.

As you see, HX9 LCD has very saturated colors and in the highest saturated areas there is some loss of differentiation. The image file itself is OK and has no color clipping but if you are taking an image of an object with highly saturated colors you might wonder about the colors on the camera screen.