Join now - be part of our community!

You View

profile.country.GB.title
Johnny96

You View

I have just cancelled my sky tv package in favour of Freeview. My tv (KD-49XD8305) has you view built in which is reported to be quite good. Question is..can I record programmes without having to buy a Freeview HD Recorder box. My remote control has a record function but I have no idea how or if it works. I know there is catch up on the various players, however I do like the record function.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

Forget Youview because you can't mark a program to watch or record later.

Freeview on Sony only give BBC iPayer & Demand 5.

So the answer is buy a PVR HD Recorder which will give many-many hours of recording time dependant on it's hard drive size.

At present we use a HUMAX for this purpose.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@gcac2828 wrote (and Roy added in italics):

Forget YouView on the TV because you can't mark a programme to watch or record later.

True.

Freeview on Sony only gives BBC iPlayer & Demand 5.

But there is a workaround to get the ITV and All4 players on the Freeview side.

So the answer is buy a PVR HD Recorder which will give many-many hours of recording time dependant on its hard drive size.

And be a lot better suited to the job than the bye-the-bye features provided on these TVs.

At present we use a HUMAX for this purpose.

Who make both a good Freeview Play recorder and a good YouView recorder, which you should look at and choose from. YouView on a PVR is a quite different, and rather superior, animal from the cut-down YouView on the TV itself, and one on which you very much can mark a programme to watch or record later, and do all sorts of things over and above what YouView on the TV can do.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking