Join now - be part of our community!

XR-55A80J Blurred Image

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jomoran20
Explorer

XR-55A80J Blurred Image

I have just bought the above Sony TV after upgrading a 9 year old 40" KDL-40W5500 (which had a great picture still) and imagine my surprise when watching NON HD channels that the picture blurs for a few seconds when the input image is changed, like when an advert starts. So every new advert that starts the picture image blurs for a few seconds before it focuses again. It doesn't happen on the HD channels. The picture is fine otherwise. Must be software but I have the latest software update. Is there an adjustment somewhere for this. It is quite embarrassing when guests are watching my brand new OLED Sony and it shows blurred images. Grateful for any input on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

The SD Channels will never look as good as the HD channels as the XR processor is having to work harder to upscale the input to 3840 x 2160 pixels especially if the original broadcast content was low resolution to start with plus you are going from a 40 inch screen to a 55 inch screen.

What do you have your Clarity> Sharpness set to, the higher you go the more fragmented the picture will look, sharpness just increases the contrast between pixels

What do you have all your Picture Settings set to.

It is often said the a Signal Strength of 100% is too high and this can lead to pixellation and drop outs.

About 85% to 95% is recommended, buy a variable signal attenuator, they are very cheap from that big online shop.

Signal Quality of 100% is ideal.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

If your TV is not working as you would expect from day one I would get in touch with the retailer and get them to send a brand new replacement.

Are you saying when watching a programme on an SD channel the programme is fine but when the adverts start the image blurs for a few seconds on each advert, most peculiar.

Are you watching digital terrestrial TV or satellite or streaming TV.

Press the Settings button on the Remote Control, select Settings from the pop up menu on screen.

Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Help & Feedback, then click on Help.

Now select Status & Diagnostics and click on Self diagnostics, see if that flags up any issues.

Have you tried a power cycle, switch the TV off, unplug it for a minute or so and then switch it back on.

You could also try a full factory reset.

Make sure all cables plugged in to the TV are properly seated, you may want to unplug the aerial cable and check that the cable is making good contact with the aerial plug.

Would it be possible for you take photos of the screen non blurred and blurred and post them back here.

But honestly if the TV is just out the box you should insist on a replacement.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey jomoran20, what's the source of the channels?

Also, here's the latest software version: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a80j_a83j_a84j-series/xr-55a80j/software... make sure that this is the one you have.

Also, try this guide: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00126919 

profile.country.GB.title
jomoran20
Explorer

The channels are digital terrestrial (Freeview) and the SD channels are not very finely focused but I put that down to a 55" TV 4 meters away not having enough pixels as the HD channels look a lot sharper. The blur when the image changes on screen is very quick and hard to get a picture of and then there is the added problem with the camera on my mobile and it's problems. Here is a blurred picture of an ad on a SD channel. I checked and I have the latest software and ran the self diagnostics without it showing any problems and the pictures on the diagnostics were very crisp. My signal quality was 100/100 and level was 99/100 so looks like my aerial is OK. Is it normal for SD channels to be this bad on OLED. My old Sony was a 40inch and was much better on SD channels.20230719_191620.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

The SD Channels will never look as good as the HD channels as the XR processor is having to work harder to upscale the input to 3840 x 2160 pixels especially if the original broadcast content was low resolution to start with plus you are going from a 40 inch screen to a 55 inch screen.

What do you have your Clarity> Sharpness set to, the higher you go the more fragmented the picture will look, sharpness just increases the contrast between pixels

What do you have all your Picture Settings set to.

It is often said the a Signal Strength of 100% is too high and this can lead to pixellation and drop outs.

About 85% to 95% is recommended, buy a variable signal attenuator, they are very cheap from that big online shop.

Signal Quality of 100% is ideal.

profile.country.GB.title
jomoran20
Explorer

The picture settings are as they were when delivered from the factory. Specifically Clarity/Sharpness 50 and so on but the Signal Level 99/100 and Signal Quality 100/100. I checked on some sites regarding Signal Level and it seems you might be spot on with that as the recommendation seems to be generally 85-95 with warnings of distortion if the values exceed that. I will buy a Variable TV Signal Attenuator and decrease the level and see if that fixes the problem. I Will let the Community know how I get on. Many thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
jomoran20
Explorer

Thanks for the information! The signal attenuator did the trick, set the signal level at 85%. No changes in sharpness when the advertisement images change like before and general SD images much better.