Join now - be part of our community!

Using headphones KD-55X8509c and CT780 sound bar

alanxce

Using headphones KD-55X8509c and CT780 sound bar

I have a KD-55X8509C connected to a CT-780 Sound Bar and latest Sky Q box. My wife is hard of hearing and I am at my wits end trying to find a solution that does not involve sub-titles (most programs from catch up and other sources don't have them) so I think headphones seem like the best possible solution.

Unfortunately all my avenues of investigation so far indicate that any way I connect headphones to the equipment results in the loss of sound for the rest of the room. In these days of advanced technology I can't believe there isn't a good solution here.
I am in dialogue with Sony and have had a somewhat confusing response because I have tried their suggestion and it doesn't seem to work unless I am misunderstanding them. 

This is the relevant part of their response

" you may use wired headphones to solve the issue, as you may activate the audio speaker link feature that will allow you to control the volume of the TV and the headphones separately."

So, I turn on tv speakers, that loses the soundbar, plug in headphones and get sound through them and lose tv speaker sound. Not a solution at all.

I have been wondering if there is anything coming out of the tv optical sound output and whether you can plug something into it to Bluetooth the signal to some Bluetooth headphones?

Surely it shouldn't be this difficult?

Thanks in advance for any sound advice,
Alan  

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Have you try also without Soundbar?

Samsung OLED? It is not relevant...

Manolo

alanxce

No, without sound bar is pointless. If I can't run the system I purchased just to get a set of headphones working then it becomes an exercise in futility for me. 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Ok, but is only for understand if it works or not...

Manolo

alanxce

I'm sorry but I am done with being Sony's system tester for now.

This on the same day I find out I can't use my Sky Q boxes wifi hotpspot capability because I have no Sky router (not available in my area) has led me to question my faith in technology.

If someone from Sony wants to provide me with detailed connectivity diagrams and tv settings along with equipment that will work then I will happily try it out. What's clear to me is that what I have currently isn't up to the job.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I'm sorry, I don't think is a problem of devices, Sony or the other.
But I'm not coming in England to try for you... :slight_frown:

Manolo

alanxce

Now I am disappointed. 😉

But seriously, thanks for trying. 

alanxce

Just to close this thread off. 

I feel comfortable in stating that with Sound Bar attached it is not possible to utilise a signal from either the side 3.5mm headphone jack or the AV Scart socket at the rear. You can get audio from the headphone jack but that will be the only sound you can get. So, is the KD55x8509c compatible with headphones? Only if the person with the phones is the only viewer.

Last Sony for me I am sorry to say, even if it is still the best picture available at that price range.

The End

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Unfortunately I'm not sure about this, but I take note of what you write.

Sorry...

Manolo