Join now - be part of our community!

Using headphones KD-55X8509c and CT780 sound bar

alanxce

Using headphones KD-55X8509c and CT780 sound bar

I have a KD-55X8509C connected to a CT-780 Sound Bar and latest Sky Q box. My wife is hard of hearing and I am at my wits end trying to find a solution that does not involve sub-titles (most programs from catch up and other sources don't have them) so I think headphones seem like the best possible solution.

Unfortunately all my avenues of investigation so far indicate that any way I connect headphones to the equipment results in the loss of sound for the rest of the room. In these days of advanced technology I can't believe there isn't a good solution here.
I am in dialogue with Sony and have had a somewhat confusing response because I have tried their suggestion and it doesn't seem to work unless I am misunderstanding them. 

This is the relevant part of their response

" you may use wired headphones to solve the issue, as you may activate the audio speaker link feature that will allow you to control the volume of the TV and the headphones separately."

So, I turn on tv speakers, that loses the soundbar, plug in headphones and get sound through them and lose tv speaker sound. Not a solution at all.

I have been wondering if there is anything coming out of the tv optical sound output and whether you can plug something into it to Bluetooth the signal to some Bluetooth headphones?

Surely it shouldn't be this difficult?

Thanks in advance for any sound advice,
Alan  

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

This knowledge base do not apply to your tv model, but it should be possible to adjust the headphone volume separately from the speaker one even if by default they are disabled when inserting the headphone jack.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37009/kw/headphone%20and%20speaker%20audio

In your setting/audio menu you should see in any case an option Headphone speaker link that should suite your needs. I'm not sure 100% if it applys also to the external HT

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi @alanxce and @rooobb,

if I understand (my english...):

Settings > Sound > Headphone speaker link
Switches the TV's speaker on/off when headphones are connected.
Inside this category: Off, On

Manolo

alanxce

Thanks for the input but I am no further forward. Headphones in, no speaker or sound bar sound. Headphone speaker link option is set to "on" and for some reason I can't change it, not sure it would help anyway. 

Can anyone comment on the audio rca output to wireless transmitter headphones idea?  I have seen it highlighted as working in other TVs. But without buying all the gear I don't know how to tell if there is anything coming out of that output under normal circumstances.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

You can't change it when the headphone are unplugged?
RCA Output to Headphone transmitter, normally it work fine...

Manolo

alanxce

No, plugged or unplugged makes no difference - headphone link on and can't change it.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alanxce wrote:

No, plugged or unplugged makes no difference - headphone link on and can't change it.

Hi there

Forgive me for butting in here.  Just reading the problem.  The 'Headphone Speaker Link" option is only enabled once headphones have been connected to the TV, via the 3.5mm jack.  Reading through your replies, it is not clear to me on how you have connected your headphones.

Can you confirm if your headphones are indeed connected to the standard 3.5mm headphone jack on the TV.  Also, do you have a model number of your headphones too?

Cheers

alanxce

Thanks for jumping in. I can confirm that i am plugging them into the 3.5mm jack on the side of the tv. 

They are only a pair of Sennheiser in the ear phones but I can get sound through them as mentioned earlier, but to the detriment of all other sound from the system. 

I have done the soft reset to no effect, not going for the factory reset as I have one of those seemingly rare beasts that haven't required one in 10 months of ownership.

I have a set of wireless headphones arriving tomorrow which have a transmitter that I will plug into the RCA audio outputs to test that avenue out, maybe last chance?

Watch this space.

alanxce

Wireless headphones arrived - epic fail.

If I was smart (which I am clearly not) I would have checked the tv for some RCA outputs before ordering something that depends on them. There aren't any and using the 3.5mm jack only presents the same problems as before,

That was last throw of the dice for me, the set clearly isn't compatible with headphones under these circumstances and I have to say I am very disappointed with Sony and their utter lack of support. Do they not have any technical expertise in the area of the TVs they produce? 

Needless to say I have no further response from them since I queried their initial comeback.

Thanks to all those who tried to help here, shame we couldn't have arrived at a more positive outcome.