Join now - be part of our community!

Usb Hub

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Usb Hub

Hello all.

Simple question, Is it at all possible to use a hub or something plugged into 1 usb port to be able to expand the amount of USB slots available?.

Im pretty sure this probably cant be done, i was thinking of a powered hub that plugs into the wall, its a bit dissapointing the TV only comes with 2 usb ports, the USB3 slot is utilised by a 128gb USB3 flash drive to expand the storage for apps and the other port is used to power the mood lighting of my TV and Unit.

Would be awesome if possible but im sure im getting a NO in reply lol.

TV - KD65X89K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

The only area where Sony mentions USB hubs is in the section about USB HDD recording.

That is why the previous poster quoted this from the online manual,

"Connecting the USB HDD device via a USB hub is not supported."

There it clearly says that using a USB hub is not supported.

You can then probably extrapolate from that that using a USB hub is not supported for other uses such as the scenario you are describing.

It maybe that the USB boards on the SONY TV are not able to cope with receiving data from two or more USB devices at the same time.

Do you have a USB hub, if so are you willing to try it out and post back the results.

Do you need to have the 128GB USB device permanently attached to your TV.

As for your mood lighting can it not be run from a USB slot on another piece of equipment you might use.

Or could you buy an electricity extension lead with room for four or more electric plugs and also has USB slots where you could run your mood lighting and free up the USB port on your TV.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/jaep1/v1/en/08-10_01.html

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Sorry im confused, forgive me if i sound stupid, but of course a usb HDD is supported, and flash drives, always have been,  I specifically asked about a USB HUB, not HDD, did you not mean a hub?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The text refers to Hard Disks but I copied it here just to answer your question as in the Manual the reference to Hubs, which are not supported, is only of this type... USB Hubs are not supported, this has always been the case.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

The only area where Sony mentions USB hubs is in the section about USB HDD recording.

That is why the previous poster quoted this from the online manual,

There it clearly says that using a USB hub is not supported.

You can then probably extrapolate from that that using a USB hub is not supported for other uses such as the scenario you are describing.

It maybe that the USB boards on the SONY TV are not able to cope with receiving data from two or more USB devices at the same time.

Do you have a USB hub, if so are you willing to try it out and post back the results.

Do you need to have the 128GB USB device permanently attached to your TV.

As for your mood lighting can it not be run from a USB slot on another piece of equipment you might use.

Or could you buy an electricity extension lead with room for four or more electric plugs and also has USB slots where you could run your mood lighting and free up the USB port on your TV.

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Thanks, perfectly cleared up.  Yer i know flash drives and HDD are fine, the flash drive is because i moved all my apps to it instead of on the tv inbuilt limited storage, also being usb the apps run much faster and load up faster.  I guess i could probably connect the mood lighting to a slot on the PC as its not too far away from the tv in general.

Thanks to you guys for answering tho, i was going to buy an 8 port USB 3 Hub for it, but i shall not bother now.

Heres hoping in the future that we eventually get to a TV where Pripherals such as hubs can be used or Sony indeed add at least a couple more usb slots :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Difficult, we have often gone from 3 to 2 USB...