Join now - be part of our community!

Power button & Apps

Power button & Apps

When the power button on the remote is pressed, it seems like the TV goes into standby and all open apps remain open. Can the power button shut down any open apps at the time? For instance, I use youtubetv and when the power button is pressed, the shows on youtubetv seems to continue to stream (including items dvr-ed). Any insight?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@e_onajourney 

Stream where? And if the set is off, how can you tell?

Or have you got a TV that is refusing to go into standby?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

I'm streaming on the YoutubeTV app on my Sony Bravia. I know it's still going because when I come back to turn on the TV again (push the power button on the remote). The screen turns on and the previous show is going. Or for example, last night I pushed the power button on the TV to turn off the screen (I did not exit Youtube TV app). When I turned it on this morning (pushed the power button and nothing else), the Youtube TV app was still showing with a service error. 

I want to be able to push the remote power button and the TV screen go off (I understand that Sony's usually just go into standby mode so it can do updates overnight if need be) and any apps that were on would be shut down. If I turn it on again, it should just be the home screen and no apps running in the background. 

Hope this makes sense. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@e_onajourney 

I think you have run into the problem that deep down, your Sony Android device either doesn’t know that it is a television, or it doesn’t want to be one.

I tried your recipe with a couple of my Samsung TVs, selecting Smart Hub, starting Netflix, and a show within it, and then blipping the TV off with the On/Standby button. In each case, the TV came back showing the last TV channel I had selected, without a trace of it having been on Netflix when it was blipped.

Because the Samsungs know they are TVs first and foremost; Sonys don’t, perhaps because they aren’t. Personally, I prefer the Samsung approach; but perhaps many people will prefer the Sony one.

And I certainly have an uneasy feeling that it may be the way of the future, with side effects like the one you have noticed, where it comes back on to the last thing you watched, not the last TV channel you watched.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…