Join now - be part of our community!

In the pink

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

In the pink

I noticed that the illuminated sensor below the screen of my 2015 Android KD-43X8309C was lit up pink, not white, today, when I was watching YouView.

The two-minute power off did not change this, so I looked in the manual, and it says pink is 'Recording Mode'.

So I got all excited at first that this had been finally added to YouView, and then I thought, hang on, there's been no update.

I finally traced it to Timer On and Off, which toggles between pink and white as you change the setting here.

But this isn't quite Recording Mode, is it? There is little enough in the Reference Guide, without Sony getting this wrong, and in nineteen languages to boot 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Nice subject title :wink:

Umm, this is all I have.  Are you sure it was pink?

original.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi Quinnicus

No idea what that is 😞

Try http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4559966111.pdf page 7(GB), as below.

This manual, printed, came with my TV, but does not seem to exist under KD-43X8309C Support on the Sony site, though it is there under other models that it refers to, the '5 and the '7, though not the '1 either. And the link above is from the '7 page, which is where I found it to reference and reproduce.

Must be all these different MotionFlow values that I don't believe are really different unless certain stand and bezel colours react badly to certain rates; but how could you tell?

I now see that 'Timer is set' is supposed to be Amber, but it does not look Amber to me. Try it on yours, and see what you think.

image.png

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya

Tried it on mine - its Amber :nauseated_face:

DSC_0029.JPG

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, MotionFlow values gives me a headache - there is no way most (any?) people can tell the difference between 800 - 1000 .....  

A mathmatical equation on whether its frame insertion, interpolation, led blinking....

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

It could be amber, I suppose.....without a real pink to compare, it is difficult 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

I still steadfastly refuse to believe that the cosmetic (stand and bezel) variants of these TVs also have different MotionFlow rates.

It simply fails to make any sense...

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Response Time is the time required for a liquid crystal(one pixel) to change orientation(Grey to White).The lowet time the best. Depends on quality and cost of each pixel.

Refresh Rate or Display Frame Rate, is the time granted(allotted) for every frame of the video to be displayed on your screen in a second. Multiplying the refresh Rate is not enough to reduce the time frame is holded but also frames must be inserted in between(need powerfull processor for creating-inserting new frames or adding blanks)(Interpolation). New inserted frames are a kind of "average" of two frames and is also a kind of fake-cartoonish frames.

Fake 800 and 1000 are really representing 120 Hz or 8.333333 msec.(f=1/t). 1000 has more cartoons in between than 800.

The conclusion is that our eyes can easily be tricked and that CRT's are never going to be reached.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@MiCal1967 wrote:

Response Time is the time required for a liquid crystal(one pixel) to change orientation(Grey to White).The lowet time the best. Depends on quality and cost of each pixel.

Refresh Rate or Display Frame Rate, is the time granted(allotted) for every frame of the video to be displayed on your screen in a second. Multiplying the refresh Rate is not enough to reduce the time frame is holded but also frames must be inserted in between(need powerfull processor for creating-inserting new frames or adding blanks)(Interpolation). New inserted frames are a kind of "average" of two frames and is also a kind of fake-cartoonish frames.

Fake 800 and 1000 are really representing 120 Hz or 8.333333 msec.(f=1/t). 1000 has more cartoons in between than 800.

The conclusion is that our eyes can easily be tricked and that CRT's are never going to be reached.

The trickery of an LED screen, where the pixels do at least light up simultaneously is as nothing compared to a CRT, where a single moving electron beam scanned across and down the screen, lighting up only one small area of phosphor at a time, and letting our persistence of vision, plus a small contribution from the phosphor decay rate, fool us into thinking we could see a complete, screen-filling picture.

But given your wide knowledge of the matters above, MiCal1967, can you see why, and perhaps explain why, three televisions differing otherwise only in stand and bezel colour, should have the differing MotionFlow rates 800, 900 and 1000 applied?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

First of all I am not a wide knowledge. My knowledge is very very old.  What I know is, that I know nothing:smileysad:

You are right. Everything is tricky. Same way we can say that nothing but real life is real. Not photos not videos not sounds, that are artificially reproduced. Electron bean is just not artistic or cartoonish.

I like the LCD technology and prefer this from CRT as everyone else. CRT technology could have been upgraded and give better results but possibly the cost would be huge. Anyway cartoonish or not, the result would be the same for our eyes.

What I don't like is the fake frames inserted between "the real" ones.

I don't know, as I told you before, and out of my knowledge is the trick that they use for increasing their rates. Maybe they "push" the processors(some kind of overclock)