Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rsebre

Thanks for the information.  A while ago I posted this:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/2144283#M42245

And will find out if it still hold true.

To be honest though - i cant believe that person at the Sony Store is right though.  Simply because many of the issues that 2015 TVs have are also replicated on the 2016 ones.  I know..i have a 2016 TV.

I went on holiday last week and on the first night away, my dad phoned me up saying the TV has frozen.  Couldnt help him.  Upon returning, it seems the remote control refused to work.  So he was lock to one channel only (itv) - for 4 days!  He was annoyed.  Upon coming home, connected tablet to tv and factory reset it.  he could only turn tv on/off by power switch :slight_smile:

Anyhow - good luck in your new TV (whichever you decide on).  

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

:smileysad:Just noticed the other posts about the firmware statement I made earlier, yes the chap, in the Sony Store in Plymouth said to me the next one will probably be its last, or the beginning of a wind down in them as they are actively pushing the 2016's hardware/software. Several of them said to me the 2015 picture is lovely, it's just not as good as the 2016's HDR. That's where it's at for them.

I'd give it 1 or 2 more updates until all the logo's on the box have at least some form of implementation and from what I gathered they are happy to leave it their. I don't think the X1 processor will ever shine with that attitude, be it 2015, 2016 or 2017's moedel's.:smileyconfused:

The Sony Store staff are very keen to answer you technical questions to the best of their ability. But even the sales staff don't think they have anything else going for them than the picture. The software is known to be a mess.:smileymrgreen:

I personally didn't think android was that buggy, I have 1000's of paid apps for it too, but it appears it is. Too me anyway.:smileyconfused:

Also I was referring to Android N. not L or M.

I thought Android N with it's native capability to watch one channel whilst recording another is what our dual tuners where missing, and that if we where to get the update/upgrade these sets issues would finally be resolved.:smileyhappy:

Hope that helps clear up any confusion if I made any. Didn't intend too or to swear,:smileycry:

Perhaps my set is actually playing up now as I've done many things I wasn't supposed to be able to do (developer mode), and perhaps that has caused an error in the Android Stack. IDK....

Kind regards,  :handshake:

Sorry yet again

Richard

adyjay33

You had better call rsebre dumb too as he put N down too... lol... So Sony wont put N on anyway which is true, so when are they going to put on M?

The only dumb people on here are the ones that dont read.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Yes, I also have both remotes, and on many occasion both remotes will frezze, not just the normal one but also the touch one too. The amount of times I've had to factory reinstall and also pair that remote is too many to count.

Sony, mean's to me a relaible, inovate quality product. Hence the purchase, that and the WhatHifi 5 star review. Also I will admit I got quite (turned on) by the X1 processor - Yes, I know I'm sad, but late at night when she's asleep and the kids/grand kids are behaving, and I have some time to myself, I like to drool over new PCB/Motherboards and Processor's. Sorry, I should probably seek some form of phycological counciling over it, but yeah, I love motherboards.

Anyway, back to the story.

Yes, I hate saying this myself my friend, but there is inherent hardware issues in these set's. At the time of manufacture, the technique was new, and the quality control and actually, the testing if anything, was'nt as through as it should have been. I hate saying it, but do yourself a favour and your dad. (My miss's hates using the tv, she doesn't like the apps for a start too,) take it back...

Imiyama also use a different colour blue implementation and as I use my set for a Display, it is better for me to have that. Their implementation wont leave you tired like HDR, Trucolour or as 4K does anyways. They have a better picture and better response times to mention a few things.

Keep up the good work my friend, you've done this forum proud. If only we had a few more like you on Reddit..

But my ownership stops this week.

Kind regards:smileypeace:

Richard

adyjay33

Its sad to see these sets still are suffering from some of the same problems that are many many months old.

Are Sony ever just going to admit they have made a big mistake and put out TV sets that are not ready?

As for people having a go at me, why are you not attacking others on here, is it you cant or you just dont like to hear the real truth?

The truth about these sets is they are rubbish, the pictures good, although I hear now that other companies are producing far better images than these which makes me think Sony are going backwards and not forwards.

Rsebre has suffered enough and I am so glad he is getting a new set... well done that man, the set I have is only good as a monitor for Sky etc... its diabolical doing anything else, good ideas, yes, but very badly implimented.

So anyway if you want to call me dumb, please read the posts first, otherwise it just makes you look it instead.

Is M coming or not, I wonder if other manufactures of decent TV's using Android will be working on M yet ?

My mobile is on M and its very stable, infact its never crashed once, this TV is on Lollipop and crashes all the time, my old mobile was Lollipop and never had a problem either and thats been out ages too, so Sony why cant you get it to work with all your premium brand engineers and technicians working for you?

Simple question Sony...shame you never answer.

Now to wait for the flaming as no one else has anything to really contribute apart from insulitng others on here who have problem.

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

A bit late for you now Richard, and probably not what you did anyway, but one way of turning these sets on remotely (and this apparently spontaneously if you are not the instigator) is to select to cast to it from a tablet or some such.

Arguably it shouldn't do this; while no more than what CEC (Bravia SYNC) does, that does at least only work with wire-connected, and thus presumably nearby, devices, whereas you can cast from as far away as your wifi will reach.

If it is desirable to have this feature in some circumstances, though, it should at least be switchable; but if there is a setting to allow/disallow Remote On by casting, I haven't found it.

Glad you will be getting a different set though; have you decided what to go for?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Julosch
Explorer

I apologize. 

adyjay33

Thank you and accepted 🙂

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

I went on holiday last week and on the first night away, my dad phoned me up saying the TV has frozen.  Couldnt help him.  Upon returning, it seems the remote control refused to work.  So he was lock to one channel only (itv) - for 4 days!  He was annoyed.  Upon coming home, connected tablet to tv and factory reset it.  he could only turn tv on/off by power switch :slight_smile:

Nightmare @Anonymous 😞

And exactly why my Sony Android set got relegated to the study at Xmas in favour of an impeccably functioning Samsung - I felt I couldn't safely go out any more, and leave the family watching it.

But this big thick manual I got with the set (which turns out to be 19 incredibly thin ones playing at being the Rosetta Stone) describes (p7GB, or indeed any p7) that on the back of the set, at bottom left, there are manual keys that can be used.

Did you not know about these, forget about them, or have the set mounted in such that they are inaccessible?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown

Admittingly - i totally forgot about the buttons on the back side of the TV.  I have now shown him where they were (i had a training session with him yesterday).  Hes not a technophobe - but he doesnt have a clue about technology.  

Before i factory reset the tv - i had a look at the settings and running services - all looked good to me.

BUT...  It gets worse....  He has a Sony Xperia E3 mobile phone (D2203).  This phone only has 2GB of internal memory and many apps cannot be moved to SD Card.  That same day, his phone basically wasnt working - apps crashing or refusing to load.  Memory Full.  He only uses YouTube and Amazon on it!  So he though the whole lot was connected.  Turning off the router too (preventing me from VPNing back to my own network - havent set up a Dynamic DNS address yet, as i only had it replaced recently).

Oh the joys of technology.  I can work it - but many get left behind cannot.

HAHA.  He learnt more about Jeremy Kyle last week :grin: