Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

No one has said people are wrong or that the sets are perfect. You've been told that over and over again. What the so called (by you only) Sony lovers have said is that over the top melodramatic rants achieve nothing (the last guy seems to acknowledge that) and that this forum is for suggestions for fixes and for reporting issues. You don't listen to anything that anyone says to you. 

MrLizard

Interesting to hear that there was a hardware revision during 2015.  Quite possibly the reason why we're seeing such polarisation between those who say their TV is working just fine, and those who have had no end of trouble. 

Is there any way to tell whether the set is dual core or not, or even a hardware revision number?  If there's a reasonably easy way of finding out I wonder what the correlation would be between hardware versions and faulty sets would be? 
mk1.golf.1983

Well done Richard! 

My Sony set is being picked up on Friday after owning 6 or 7 of them for the last 11 months.

I am having a nice 4k hdr Panasonic delivered the same day :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rsebre

Sad to see that you'vehit your breaking point with the TV considering only a few posts ago you were quite forgiving and excited about Android TV.  But you have my sympathies too - after all those factory resets, I too would be peed off too.

Just one thing if you dont mind...

"I spoke recently to Sony, whom also told me there probably wont be any more Firmware updates after the next one either, as they are now concentrating on the 2016 sets'

Can you please tell me who or where this info came from.  Private Message me if you wish.  As this is not the information I have and wish to follow this up.

Thanks.

adyjay33

Yes Garymjh blah blah balh... are you stuck on repeat as it seems like it, your boring me.

Glad to hear that others still have problems as I thought no one else apart from me did as its all been sorted out.

If Sony are not going to update to Android N which they said they would and if they are indeed not bothering to update the firmware anymore after the next one as has been said in a post then these TV's are lemons.

Nevermind as its obvous that these TV still are not performing and no one from Sony can help.

Pointless company, imagine a car maker not issuing parts to a car after one year from manuafacture, you cant as its unheard of, however Sony seem to think they can abandon customers.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adyjay33

I believe Richard was referring to an Android version that Sony has never referred to (Android N).  At CES 2016, Sony stated Android M (Marshmallow).  Currently the TVs are on Android L (Lollipop).

Julosch
Explorer

@Anonymous

Yeah he is dumb, first would be Android M. But I would also like to know if the above accusations were right (that the 2015 Models won't get any more FW upgrades). Please let me know (PM if you like) if this is true or false. Even though I doubt that he will give you a name.

Thank you!

Julosch
Explorer

@MrLizard

I'd like to know that too, let me know when you hear of this!

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Anonymous

Yes it is impossible not to update firmware on this technology included inside those TVs.

My brother's 2010 Sony was last updated December 2014. This means a 4 year support. For non Android models.

They don't stop working on this. It is just too new for them.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@Anonymous

Hello again chap. Yes I've fortunately had a change of heart. My X83C has started to behave in an most unsatisfactory way. It's turns itself on sometimes in the middle of the night.

And that it seem's that I enjoy reinstalling google ect every week.

I gave up with the developer mode. The signing of Android boot ROM's and a custom Launcher's just for these series of set's which I envisioned will ultimately never get finished. I honestly thought I could control my home automation via this set, but as it's 5.11, nope. I thought that come the long term ownership of this set I could cretae a custome firmware for it, which I propbaly could, but as it's going back I now won't.

Collecting all the hardware data and software logs wasn't hard, but then interpreting them all and the 5.11 Android build use of them all, just takes too long.

There are also reports that Android N isn't compatible these series of set's on the Android Developer Forums.

At present Android N is only be target to a very small amount of devices. They have a list up of what is coming to Android N and what isn't listed basically isn't coming.

To answer your question about where I heard about no more Software updates (Firmware) is from a Sony Store in Plymouth. I live in a little village in the middle of nowhere. I decided one morning to travel to Plymouth's Sony Store and speak to them direct. So off I went, and when I got their we discussed the differences in 2015's and 2016's line up's. I showed the statements from Sony's (I forget their name) on the Internet about the HDR update and the Playstation 4K App as they have in America, and they said that even the 2016 UK/EU Model's wont be getting the 4K App as localisation is required. I had already contacted Sony Playstation UK and SOE and Sony America to try and find that out. Sony America still say they are working on it though, and that it will be available in other markets soon (Its been ages, over 12 months doesnt equal soon, well not in my book anyway.

And that the 4K 2016 series sets have had pretty much all the updates that they are going to get. As in the latest (Firmware) will probably be the last, as the staff in the Sony Store stated that the 2015 series had several issue's, and that they couldn't have been happier when the 2016 series came out, as the 2015 issues where more hardware related than anything else. They also said they are starting to wind down the sales on the 2015 models and are actively encouraging the the more reliable and consistent 2016 model. (the 2016 model is quad core isnt it?) (That's why it can do HDR)

I also ascertained that the 2016 AV Sony Amp could do 4K passtrough, but not THX, or Dolby's Vision audio, and as Dolby Vision is what I'm after I did'nt purchase one

I actually find going to the Sony Store once every 6 months to a sort of fact finding retail therapy.

The next set I will be getting and should have got is an imiyama. They are the best and they are based here in the UK too. The next AV AMP I'm getting has to have Dobly Vision, I could even live with out 7.1 if the 5.1 is done right. From what I understand Phiilips had the colour gamut right in the first place. HDR isn't the best colour gamut either, it's more like Dolby Vision if anything, but then again Phiilip's Trucolour gamut is never that far wrong anyway. Sorry don't mean to be going on. Thanks though for all the messages and if anything social inclusion.

I also apologies again for my use of foul language this fine morning due to issues with the tv yet again.

I had such high hopes for this set only to find out it was all misplaced.

Kind regards

Richard

Peace :handshake: