Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@bobm2t wrote:

Hi Royabrown,

Thanks for explaining is wasn't intended, that is a relief! And no worries, at least one of the other guys highlighted what might have caused it...err...does your keyboard still work? It didn't get squashed or anything under the wrath? 🙂

And yes, the Mac Mini idea is working a treat, thanks. If 'Apple Mac' did the display in the size of the TV I bought I'd be made up!

Sorry Sony... But once you folks get to grips with what you expect people to achieve with the Android TV the better, after all, we can't put it in our pocket, can we, eh? I don't even own a smart phone or have unlimited bandwidth; there's no landline, so stuck with a limited Gb connection (countryfolk, huh?), and syncing devices isn't of any use to me either... 🙂

Cheers, 

@Looks like Quinnicus nailed what was happening. Next time I edit something, I'll do it bare-headed, after taking my @ off 🙂

My keyboard is a virtual one made of Gorilla Glass. It's a lot touchier than I am, really 🙂

But take care with on-demand when you only have a few GBs per month, or whatever. On -demand can eat your allowance faster than you would ever have thought possible 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
stupearson
Explorer

i have a sony bravia KDL50W809C and im having the same/similar problem. have you found a cure for this yet? i use the standard remote sparingly as generally use my Sky HD remote for volume. tv switches to other inputs for other devices no problem but the sony remote has no effect on the television so cant use smart features/netflix without rebooting the tv. Is this a common problem or just a few isolated incidents?

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@royabrown wrote:

paulryan37 wrote:.

Most tv's show the current program in a small screen whilst searching through the channel list. With You view you can jump a page at a time why cant the standard program guide do this as it only seaches 1 program at a time

The YouView interface does this, optionally, on the box; but on the TV, the current programme is being shown, faintly, behind the YouView Guide.

However, the EPG does work like the box, and the Page Down you are looking for is PROG -

After which, PROG + becomes Page Up. Though indeed the EPG wraps like a cylinder, so you can PROG + from BBC 1 SD 'backwards' into the high-numbered radio stations,

Only you view works from prog+ or - a page at a time the standard guide does not 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

paulryan37 wrote:

Only youview works from prog+ or - a page at a time, the standard guide does not.

Ah, most remiss of Sony then, and one up to YouView at last.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Batemansxxxb
Explorer

Everything was going ok since the last software update, then switched the set on & no volume & remote unresponsive,had to unplug the mains cable from the tv & reboot to fix,don"t know if this has any bearing on the problem,but I wanted to watch ch5 on demand last night,it asked for a PIN number,which I don't remember setting one,so had to find the default pin to reset & remove the parental lock setting

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

You do have to set a PIN during initial set up or after a factory reset. I
only installed the update the other day, did a reset afterwards and had to
set one
joquinn27
Explorer

I know this is off topic but I am trying to find out if Sony are bringing out a 43" 4k set in their 2016 X850D range. This option was previously shown but then disappeared. I have now been told by an independent retailer that this size is again back as an option as of August. Anyone any knowledge of this as this is the largest size I can accommodate and I am wondering whether to hold out for the newer model if there is going to be one in this size. No sign of it on Sony website.
alfonzobonzo

Personally, I'd give Sony a wide berth.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joquinn27

The XD85 range comes in 85", 75", 65" and 55".  Unfortunately no smaller than that.  For a 43" you will be looking at the XD83 range which will be in 49" and 43"  The XD80 will also have a 43" version.

Kenneth_J

I just bought a KD-558505C TV eventhough i've read a lot of negative reviews mainly complaining about android being crappy. I had hoped Sony would have fixed it by now but i guess i was wrong.

After a few hours of YouTub'ing everything lags so badly the TV doesn't respond to anything, this last for about 10-20 seconds then i can use the TV again but it's still very laggy.

When i start the TV guide the sound turns off(why?) and after 2-3 seconds the TV guide reload :s

I've only had the TV for 2 days and haven't used it much so i fear for what else is screwed up or not working when i really start to explorer settings and functions... i'm seriously thinking about returning the TV.