Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

If it had 8gb ram it might not be so sluggish.
mk1.golf.1983

Recording on to usb hdd is disabled when youview is enabled, unfortunately that is how it is, there is a foot note at the bottom of one of there support update pages that states this. You can't pause or rewind live tv or depending on model watch a different channel to what is being watched. Great 'ay!

Kevwoods12

A quick question to those who've used this function,  to record freeview do I have to use a USB HDD,  or can I use a USB flash drive/stick? 

Cheers. 

mk1.golf.1983

A flash drive will be fine but the tv will format it to it's own file system and then it will be invisible to a pc, you will need to delete volume and reformat in order to use again on pc.

Kevwoods12

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

paulryan37 wrote:.

Most tv's show the current program in a small screen whilst searching through the channel list. With You view you can jump a page at a time why cant the standard program guide do this as it only seaches 1 program at a time

The YouView interface does this, optionally, on the box; but on the TV, the current programme is being shown, faintly, behind the YouView Guide.

However, the EPG does work like the box, and the Page Down you are looking for is PROG -

After which, PROG + becomes Page Up. Though indeed the EPG wraps like a cylinder, so you can PROG + from BBC 1 SD 'backwards' into the high-numbered radio stations,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
john.pringle

@kevwoods I've recorded free view on a usb drive it was easy enough just have to register device and away you go.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

Going back to the memory space. Lollipop 5.1.1 has three sections :-

• System [mmcblk0p23] (/system) [ext4] 
  • Cache [mmcblk0p24] (/cache) [ext4] 
  • Data (userdata) [mmcblk0p26] (/data) [ext4]. All sharing the 8.2 GB my tv has, the only porblem is that our version of Lollipop doesn't show how much free space there is. As we don't have anyway to add to it ie a SD card we have to live within these limits. I will try to confirm by adding lots of apps and see if the 8.2Gb drops and report back, because it is still as out of the box tv with only the built in apps. 
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@bobm2t wrote:

Hi,

Basically, in 'YouView', you can see an overlay of the guide at the foot of the viewed screen. When you select full guide, you do not see the usual small square viewing screen of the current programme that is on.

In 'YouView' I am unable to set up a recording of any programme, I get the message: 'Not availble in YouView' which doesn't make sense. There's a Hard Drive within the TV yet I can't save programes to it while 'You View' is the default TV Guide..

I disabled 'YouView' and now the guide is supplied by 'FreeView', again, no small screen showing what's on while searching other channels/scrolling through the guide. I can record to an external HD but not the TV's HD, which again is a little mysifying.

If someone can explain why 'YouView' is not supported to record any TV programme that is displayed please let me know. And in 'FreeView', why can't the system record to it's internal HD?

With any external HD added it has to be formatted, which will remove current content on it as it is formatted, so needs to be a new one if one doesn't want to lose content held on their extenal HD.

With the internal HD having plenty of space (unused to date) it seems cray to have to purchase another HD just to save programmes for when I want to see them later.

The original issue with the WiFI not connecting seems to have been resolved, so I can download updates should I request to do so.

Hope that explains my confusion with the way the TV Guides seem to operate and the limitations of the services the TV is supposed to offer.

Regards.

Hi @bobm2t

Perhaps you don't understand about the software?

For YouView to support recording, somebody has to write a lot of software, They haven't (yet?) 

And is there a Hard Drive within the TV? I don't think so.

No small screen ever. And you can't record to a hard drive that does not exist.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking