Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia 1 V

profile.country.DE.title
Siegfried-61
Explorer

Sony Xperia 1 V

I wanted to switch to Sony, but see the display format with 21:9. Can anyone tell me how Sony came up with this crazy idea? That is definitely doomed to fail, such a narrow display! Man oh man...

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DK.title
Danishblunt

I mean you arent exacly wrong, it's an unusual reslution and does create quite some black bars/problems for most content on social media.

But it does have its advantage in viewing 21:9 movies and does make the UI for the camera rather good, that being said most people would agree that the display is a dealbreaker. Personally I don't mind it as much, but I do see where people are coming from when they complain about the displays aspect ratio.

profile.country.DE.title
Siegfried-61
Explorer

Very squeezed screen for 16/9 videos The worst experience is for typing on the tiny keyboard. This handicap could be reduced by using the full width for the keyboard as on the picture below. An update is urgent to solve this issue. A 19.5/9 as announced for the Samsung S24 Ultra would be much more convenient. I do hope that the 1 VI will adopt it. or even better 19/9 Thanks for taking into account our experience. Indigene_43

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

The resolution and aspect ratio are a perfect match for cinema 4k, which I'm guessing is the main reason for the spec.

The cinematography app also records in this native resolution, to give users a cinema like feel.

The benefits of course are also that you can use the phone single handed easier than the wider large phones out there.

I'm guessing the cinema aspect ratio is fairly popular for some users as I believe most of the folding phones use it or very near too.

profile.country.DK.title
Danishblunt

The main complaint is likely that many apps and 16:9 videos arent well optimized for it.

profile.country.DE.title
Siegfried-61
Explorer

You're wrong. 4K Cinema is for TVs, not smartphones!
that will not prevail, for the reasons mentioned.