Join now - be part of our community!

W10 August upgrade, reduced my resolution to 1280 x 800 and wouldn't allow me to revertto 1920 x 108

profile.country.GB.title
Clavina
New

W10 August upgrade, reduced my resolution to 1280 x 800 and wouldn't allow me to revertto 1920 x 108

I've just spent a day and a half with the Microsoft agents (10 in all) to determine that w10's latest upgrade is not compatible with a wide screen, and has permanently stuck me with a fuzzy picture. Restore won't let me roll back.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Clavina,

which device are you using?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Clavina
New

VPCF 136FG.

Sorry for the tardy reply but I have been having a running battle with upgrades (and not being able to 'talk' to the same agent twice). Briefly, when I installed the August '19 upgrade to 1803 Windows 10 Home I lost screen clarity. Everything became short, fat and blurred. I rolled back - to find my screen works with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (wide screen laptop). I reinstalled the August upgrade and yelled for help.
Various agents upgraded me from 1803 to 1903 however that only offered me a resolution choice of 1280 x 1024, 1280 x 800 (which works best, but gives me eye ache after about an hour) 1024 x 768, & 800 x 600.
Two agents have tried, and failed, to achieve an upgrade to my Nvidia driver.
I have been through 10 agents. The last came to the conclusion that my Sony VPCF136FG was not compatible with 1903 and we decided the best thing to do was to revert to 1803 and ban further upgrades.
On roll back I found I had lost the 1920 x 1080 resolution and on investigation discovered that my NVIDIA driver was also absent (one of the files deleted by agents). I down loaded a replacement and got everything back to normal (with the exception of Windows programs, which are still a bit scraggy, but not the preview - which is slightly smaller but pin sharp).
Reasoning that if the latest NVIDIA driver fixed the errant 1803 it might work with 1903 as well , and with Windows telling me that I am fully 1903 compatible - I initiated an upgrade through the update assistant.
This failed with Error Code Oxc 000 000 5 - strange since we have sucessfully loaded it 4 times sucessfully, unless 1903 and the 1920 x 1080 really are incompatible.

"Scannow" reports
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Update repair run, fault corrected.
Install Failed at 58% failed with Error Code Oxc 000 000 5.
As Administrator - C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk C:/f/r - Done
Re ran upgrade: Sucess, fully compliant great text, even the raggardy Windoes, all is now pin sharp.

It's been a busy 5 days.

Kind regards, Clavina.