Join now - be part of our community!

Video Card for PCG-GRT 915M

Video Card for PCG-GRT 915M

Hello Club Community!
I have the following question: are there "better" Video Cards available for the SONY VAIO PCG-GRT915M Notebook, because some games (I know, Desktop-PC is better for gaming) really have less Frames Per Second. At the moment there is a GeForce FX Go5600 in my notebook. Do you know if there are other Video Cards for this notebook, like a Go6600 or something like that?

It would be nice, if I'd get an answer!

You can also answer in German, Italian (which are preferred languages) or in French.

A happy new year,

THE_GERMAN_ITALIAN

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Nope, there are not.
They cannot be upgraded as of yet

Ah, ok and thanks for that fast answer!

Do you know when new Video Cards for VAIOs will be released? Because that Video Card here is a bit slow for my requirements...

kee-lo_

Never, they won't be, it'll only be on new models, and that won't be for a long time.

feederfan
Visitor

The motherboard in your VAIO has the video card built in, basically, all the Video Card is is one Chip, as it uses shared memory from the system. This chip is soldered to the motherboard, and therefore cannot be upgraded. There is no way you could upgrade the motherboard either, before that is suggested, as each motherboard is custom built for a particular laptop. Laptops never have been, and never will be designed for gaming, They are designed for portable computing. The heat generated by a high end video chip can not be dealt with by a laptop cooling system. If you want to game, buy a desktop, even the most expensive laptops are no match for an average desktop. I mean, when i play wolfenstien on my brand new VAIO, i get ~20fps, however, on my PC, which has a 1 year old Video card, i get 300fps. This is because, in my PC, the video card has its own memory, and can run at very high clock speeds as it has its own cooling, this does not apply to the notebook!

Hope that answers everything, and if it doesnt,

You will never be able to upgrade the video card in your VAIO

That should

OK, thanks for this answer...I got the notebook from my parents for birthday! It's sad that a notebook can't be "tuned" up but there is noother way!

The_German_Italian

robpaxton
Explorer

You are pretty well off when it comes to the graphics subsystem of your computer. It has a 64MB nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600 which uses its own video memory (not shared). This makes the graphics on your computer faster than the average notebook.

feederfan
Visitor

Yeah, Nvidia do make better chips than ATi. I have an Nvidia FX5600 desktop AGP card and its fantastic for the price i paid for it. You are lucky you dont have a GFX chip that relies on shared memory!