Join now - be part of our community!

So....I´m giving it back...

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

So....I´m giving it back...

After playing around with the VGF-AP1 (20GB) for almost two weeks I finally decided to return it to the retailer. But I thought I post a couple of things that lead to this decision (bearing in mind that the main purpose for the player should be playing music and managing your music collection; I for myself mainly use MP3-Players for transferring my CD collection to this portable device. I have no interest in online music stores such as "Connect". I grew up with the belief (and lots of LPs) that if you pay for something you receive something in return which you actually can hold in your hands):

- The possibility of "real MP3 playback" turned out to be....well, I prefer to decide by myself when or where I move my music files around - and I hate to be manipulated (the .oma ending thing)

- Being restricted to Sonic Stage as the one and only software is a major disadvantage, too. Although the software worked rather smoothly on my PC it is way too limited (at least if you are able to actually use your PC)

- The firmware upgrade had some nice add-ons. But: most of these were rather cosmetic. I don´t need a variety of skins as I mainly use a MP3-Player for listening (although....the possibility of adding the sleeve artwork to your device is a nice one).

- Some features got worse after the upgrade: The playlist options were never the strength of the Vaio Pocket but before the upgrade you could at least easily remove tracks from your playlist on your Vaio Pocket

- The raection time (e.g. when you stop tracks) is still tardy

I´ve decided to go for an I-RIVER H-120 (or H-140). Besides the rather unspectacular design (that´s the thing I still like most when I look at the Vaio) it simply has more value for money:

- digital in- and output
- recording features
- multi codec, including Ogg Vorbis (so in the end I am the one who is able to choose the format, the file size and therefore the quality)
....well, and Vaja makes a nice leather case for this one...

BTW: I have a PDAir leather case for the VGF-AP1 for sale. It has just arrived and as I am returning my player I havn´t had the chance to use it. So, particular for the ones who live in Germany. I would sell it for the regular retail price (free shipping within Germany included).

Take care and stay alive,

an ex-Vaio Pocket user

11 REPLIES 11
Psaila
Visitor

BTW: I have a PDAir leather case for the VGF-AP1 for sale. It has just arrived and as I am returning my player I havn´t had the chance to use it. So, particular for the ones who live in Germany. I would sell it for the regular retail price (free shipping within Germany included).

So Sorry You feel As you do , I would be sad to see my new friend go ..... update are coming as we chatter here and yes I do feel my 40 gigs unit was well worth the wait and I know in time it will be better than any thing I have seen that might tempt me .

Would You sell you Case and Post to the UK if I included Post cost .

If So I would like Your case , I was going to order One As It happens .

kadafi
Visitor

Dont give her back!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Psaila
Visitor

Dont give her back!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I would Have to agree. next you will be at This stage , as Sony update the firmware to do loads more .

I would Ask you told hold your VAIO Pocket In any hand , close your Eye's And think of throwing it . Would You , Could You... It A Sony made with many years of Pride , Care And Soon Stunning thought . It will come .

Pentagram
Visitor

Sorry to see you go but I don't understand something.

I for myself mainly use MP3-Players for transferring my CD collection to this portable device. 

If you use your vaio pocket for that then why worry about mp3 support. Atrac(plus) is a far better codec sound quality wise. When I rip my cd collection to store on my vaio pocket I always pick atrac even if it supports mp3 now.
You do mention some valid points though, sonicstage isn't the best program ever but I can do with it what needs to be done and the reaction time could be better. I hope that sony will fix some off these minor problems but if they don't I'm still happy with my player.

Good luck with your iRiver (I've looked at them too when I was looking for a good player)

@Psailia: You do know that the 40Gb version doesn't fit the PDAir leather case?

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

Regarding the quality of the codecs...rigth now I am experimenting with Ogg Vorbis which has a lot of options to choose from. It seems to me that Ogg has a better performance than ATRAC3Plus even if you choose a slightly lower bitrate than 256kbps (which in the end saves space).

Besides that I have the feeling that the output of the Vaio (e.g. maximum level) is a little bit on the low side. Although I still have to compare this to other players.

Cheers,
Thomas

kadafi
Visitor

Regarding the quality of the codecs...rigth now I am experimenting with Ogg Vorbis which has a lot of options to choose from. It seems to me that Ogg has a better performance than ATRAC3Plus even if you choose a slightly lower bitrate than 256kbps (which in the end saves space).

Besides that I have the feeling that the output of the Vaio (e.g. maximum level) is a little bit on the low side. Although I still have to compare this to other players.

Cheers,
Thomas

Just so you know, I-River H-120 file tags support for OGG format is at best passable.. if you thought sonicstage was bad in sorting file-tags, wait till u use OGG on the i-river..

dont give her back pleassee!!!

It's a SONY for crying out loud!!!

Do u not like color phones?

:smileygrin: :smileygrin:

Lets do a poll for thwi to keep Vaio Pocket!!!

(and no i don't work for sony )
:devil:

lordviper
Visitor

gave mine back today in exchange for a 60gig ipod photo, best portable audio decision ive made.
its charging via usb now whilst seemlessly syncing my audio and photos.
yes the VP is a better unit (arguably) but the hassle of drm and sonic stage just isnt worth it.

DrMojo
Visitor

good gawd!

now i really dont know what player to get!

after whinging on here about having to use the atrac system with the vaio pocket, sonys announced upgrade made me rethink getting an ipod photo because i have heard that the ipod battery life sucks the big one, and the pocket boasted 20 hours! i thought that the pocket might be the way forwards!

however, judging by a few posts here, thats turned out to be a load of waffle - is the ipods battery life actually better?

previously, i had a little iriver 256mb unit - which was cool and perfect to take on bike rides in the uk. i loved the unit, but as soon as i put classical music on there, i noticed an annoying hiss in the background. to say that i was mightily p*ssed off would be a bit of an understatement.

can iriver users confirm that this problem has been resolved with the newer phatboy models? after investigating iriver forums a few months ago, the hiss seems to be a common problem.

i cant bring myself to get a pocket now. it just sounds too dodgy. and as for waiting for sony to produce updates, personally when i buy a product, especially an expensive product, i dont expect to have to wait around to get top quality: i expect to get it straight from the box. i got it with my new vaio notebook, but just because the pocket has sony plastered all over it doesnt mean that it is automatically the goods.

whats the battery life like on the ipod photo? also i believe it has multi language support, so if i buy one in japan, ill be able to get english on it no probs. err - i think...

nemo66
Visitor

HaHaHaHaHa....iPod sucks big time!
I was APPLE ADDICT for years....i know what i say.
They sell beautyfull machines....but inside is damn normal PeeCee "SCHROTT" !!!
Ask me why i less´d my iPod. (After 3 months the battery was dead....Apple let me in the rain)
I had over 7 years Apple computers.....damn, i realized too late what an idiot i was.
F.....g all the time to keep the machines on working, resetting all the time, apps keep on closing with a bomb....and so on.
APPLE ??? Nice.....for noobs!!! (and maybe "SHEIHS with lotsa money....)