Join now - be part of our community!

VGN C140G: what is the fastest CPU that I can use for this old laptop?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
vitaly-zdanevich
New

VGN C140G: what is the fastest CPU that I can use for this old laptop?

I asked on Superuser but they said that this is offtopic for their platform.

I hope to get qualified answer from Sony. This laptop still works and I want to make it as fast as possible (maybe I will also replace the hard drive to SSD).

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This is a User Forum.  If you need an answer from Sony, I would approach Sony USA Support as this is a US model.  However, I doubt they will provide upgrade information.

https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNC140GB_mksp.pdf

That said, maybe Sony EU may be able to help as the VGN-C1Z was the EU model which has the same CPU but better NVidea graphics than the US version.

As far as I can see, your T5500 is a ‘Merom’ Series processor using ‘Socket M’ 479 pin connections.  I think the fastest CPU using this socket is T7600 - anything faster like the T9900 you mention is in the ‘Penryn’ series and uses a different ‘Socket P’ which runs at a different FS Buss speed.  T7600 is also 35 watts so it shouldn’t overheat.  Just my opinion so best to check with Sony USA.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This is a User Forum.  If you need an answer from Sony, I would approach Sony USA Support as this is a US model.  However, I doubt they will provide upgrade information.

https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNC140GB_mksp.pdf

That said, maybe Sony EU may be able to help as the VGN-C1Z was the EU model which has the same CPU but better NVidea graphics than the US version.

As far as I can see, your T5500 is a ‘Merom’ Series processor using ‘Socket M’ 479 pin connections.  I think the fastest CPU using this socket is T7600 - anything faster like the T9900 you mention is in the ‘Penryn’ series and uses a different ‘Socket P’ which runs at a different FS Buss speed.  T7600 is also 35 watts so it shouldn’t overheat.  Just my opinion so best to check with Sony USA.