Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Laptop

bigdp123
New

Sony Vaio Laptop

Hi

I have a problem with my Sony Vail laptop.

When I switch it on it lets me login then the screen goes black and I can't do anything.

Does anyone know how I can fix this or if it's a known problem? 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

So it loads up Windows (what version?) and gives you a logon screen?

When you logon I take it there is still power going to the VAIO... (is the hard drive light flashing/lit?)

How long have you left it on after you logon?

Have you tried going in via safe mode? If so, does the same thing happen?

What model is it?

Were you doing anything special before this problem? (e.g. driver updates - I ask this because Microsoft send out the monthly updates on the second Tuesday of each month i.e. the Tuesady that just passed!), a major amount of updates can make the screen go blank for quite a bit of time, especially if it is an older lapyop. My friends HP laptop took 40mins to update yesterday!!

bigdp123
New

Hi it's running Windows 7. Safe mode tries to load then it just stops at black screen

with mouse pointer which I can move. 

I can also load task manager but it takes a very long time. 

Thanks

Strange... in Task Manager is there anything noticable eating up memory continuously or CPU cycles?

Can you bring up the explorer shell? (File, Run New Task, explorer.exe)

Do you have a recent restore point you can access? If so you could try restoring to a time that worked...

1) Reboot and press F8
2) Select "Repair my computer"
3) Select the keyboard layout and lanugage
4) When you reach system recovery tools, select System restore.
5) Select the restore point when it was working fine and restart the computer.

I also read somewhere a while ago that it could be Malware related, so if you get in you may want to give your system a good sping clean.. see this thread for app recomendations. :slight_smile:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/pcs-accessories/annoying-ads-on-every-page/td-p/1728185