Join now - be part of our community!

Sonic Stage won't connect my Vaio???

AgentSmith
Visitor

Sonic Stage won't connect my Vaio???

Hi All.

I recently purchased the Vaio Pocket and have found it great. I Have had a few problems with the software needed to transfer audio files.

My first problem was when I tryed to get SonicStage to import my Music folder, either it would crash part way through scanning the dir or lockup and need terminating.

I tryed to uninstall and reinstall to see if this would rectify the problem but the same thing would happen. I found myself doing a system restore and try to install it again but that has led to another problem.

My main problem now is that when I start SonicStage and try to access my Vaio it comes up with the message "The ATRAC audio device cannot be used with this version of SonicStage". I havn't changed anything interms of software or device change. The only thing I have done is to reinstall it.

Can anyone help as this is driving me crazy not being able to transfer anything. :cry:

Specs:
Win XP - SP2
Firmware 3.0.0.C171F
SonicStage 2.3.00 (11020)

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
@4967457401015621
Visitor

when i did a system restore it told me i had to restore the sonic stage database, then uninstall ss, restart and reinstall it. first thing i'd normally suggest is making sure you have all the updates, but it looks like you already have (it's worth checking windows update though, in sp1 there's a bug that makes ss crash if you have a particular security update installed). you don't have the american version of sonic stage do you? i'm just wondering if sony make different firmware/sonic stage versions incompatible. as for it crashing before, are you sure the mp3s are uncorrupt? i've got a problem at the moment, as my ipod corrupted about 5 gigs of mp3s so i'm now having to re-rip abou 50 cds :angry: good luck with getting yours going!

AgentSmith
Visitor

when i did a system restore it told me i had to restore the sonic stage database, then uninstall ss, restart and reinstall it. first thing i'd normally suggest is making sure you have all the updates, but it looks like you already have (it's worth checking windows update though, in sp1 there's a bug that makes ss crash if you have a particular security update installed). you don't have the american version of sonic stage do you? i'm just wondering if sony make different firmware/sonic stage versions incompatible. as for it crashing before, are you sure the mp3s are uncorrupt? i've got a problem at the moment, as my ipod corrupted about 5 gigs of mp3s so i'm now having to re-rip abou 50 cds :angry: good luck with getting yours going!

I don't think its a Windows patch problem as i've had all the patches since I first installed SS. My MP3's seem to work fine and have no problems playing them.

I have tryed to remove all references to OpenMG and SonicStage from my registry and even used a registry cleaner but dosn't make any diffrence.

I'm puzzled as to what it could be. The only version of SonicStage I have used are 2.1 from the CD, 2.3 from the online installer and then tryed the FTP vaio-link 2.3 English installer. They all give me the same problem.

@4967457401015621
Visitor

mm, that's not helpful. you could try another system restore and reinstall? i've had a fair few problems with ss as well, it's nothing compared to itunes (sorry but it's true). the software (mainly on the pc but also on the vp itself) are the only things i'm disappointed with so far. the good bit is if sony take the comments on board it'll be awesome, if they ignore them it'll be a case of 'it coulda been great but..'. another alternative would be to try downloading the us software and firmware, i don't imagine the hardware will be different, or reinstalling the firmware on the device. it defintiely says version 3 on the system information?

AgentSmith
Visitor

I'm not sure if re-installing the firmware will affect my Vaio. I don't wan't to do that and then find that I caunt use my Vaio aswell. If I try to restore from a previouse restore point the same problem will occure.

With the online installer there is only one version avaliable, the one it downloads. I live in the UK so I think that it detects where the user is and uploads the relevant language. I havn't seen a US version of the Firmware or software.

And yes it says version 3 as the Firmware on the Vaio.

@4967457401015621
Visitor

mm, don't really know what to suggest then. to be honest getting the us firmware shouldn't be necessary and probably won't be a good idea (it is possible, i'm in the uk too and have downloaded it but i haven't tried using it). good luck, i can't think of anything else

AgentSmith
Visitor

Thx for the help Bentate.

looks as though i'm stuffed. I didn't particularly wan't another paperweight for christmas :cry:

AgentSmith
Visitor

YEEEEEEEES.

I finally got it sorted. What seems to have been the problem is that all the Sonic Stage installers I have are for the US. I didn't realise this as these were the only links I could find and directed me to these files.

I eventually got the correct file by registering on the European connect.com site. This then gave me a link to a sonicstageinstaller.

Because the files aren¿t labelled to the correct territory I was non the wiser.

The US Online installer is labelled: SonicStageInstaller.exe
The Euro Online installer is labelled: sonicstageinstaller.exe

Please Sony, make your installers more identifiable for different countries.

Psaila
Visitor

Well done Agent Smith

Nice to see you did not give up ,

Now how do you feel , ? Nice that the SS update worked for you too ,

AgentSmith
Visitor

Give up? I never give up, as Neo found out.:smileygrin:

I'm just releaved that I finally got it to work. I even tryed to do a fresh install of Windows on another HDD but I had major problems with my ATI drivers as SonicStage dosn't seem to wan't to install without them.