Join now - be part of our community!

So....I´m giving it back...

profile.country.de_DE.title
thwi
Visitor

So....I´m giving it back...

After playing around with the VGF-AP1 (20GB) for almost two weeks I finally decided to return it to the retailer. But I thought I post a couple of things that lead to this decision (bearing in mind that the main purpose for the player should be playing music and managing your music collection; I for myself mainly use MP3-Players for transferring my CD collection to this portable device. I have no interest in online music stores such as "Connect". I grew up with the belief (and lots of LPs) that if you pay for something you receive something in return which you actually can hold in your hands):

- The possibility of "real MP3 playback" turned out to be....well, I prefer to decide by myself when or where I move my music files around - and I hate to be manipulated (the .oma ending thing)

- Being restricted to Sonic Stage as the one and only software is a major disadvantage, too. Although the software worked rather smoothly on my PC it is way too limited (at least if you are able to actually use your PC)

- The firmware upgrade had some nice add-ons. But: most of these were rather cosmetic. I don´t need a variety of skins as I mainly use a MP3-Player for listening (although....the possibility of adding the sleeve artwork to your device is a nice one).

- Some features got worse after the upgrade: The playlist options were never the strength of the Vaio Pocket but before the upgrade you could at least easily remove tracks from your playlist on your Vaio Pocket

- The raection time (e.g. when you stop tracks) is still tardy

I´ve decided to go for an I-RIVER H-120 (or H-140). Besides the rather unspectacular design (that´s the thing I still like most when I look at the Vaio) it simply has more value for money:

- digital in- and output
- recording features
- multi codec, including Ogg Vorbis (so in the end I am the one who is able to choose the format, the file size and therefore the quality)
....well, and Vaja makes a nice leather case for this one...

BTW: I have a PDAir leather case for the VGF-AP1 for sale. It has just arrived and as I am returning my player I havn´t had the chance to use it. So, particular for the ones who live in Germany. I would sell it for the regular retail price (free shipping within Germany included).

Take care and stay alive,

an ex-Vaio Pocket user

11 REPLIES 11
nwcpn
Visitor

The software sucks..........
The search time is terrible..........
The f*****ng thing has a mind of it's own.....

...but when using minimal compression on .wav files it sounds like a dream.

We've compared nearly every unit in the studio, and nothing comes close to the sound quality with the exception of a portable (ha ha - size of a laptop) SCSI drive studio recording unit.

At the end of the day, when it's playing in your pocket, or even connected to a high end stereo system, nothing comes close.

Psaila
Visitor

We've compared nearly every unit in the studio, and nothing comes close to the sound quality with the exception of a portable (ha ha - size of a laptop) SCSI drive studio recording unit.

At the end of the day, when it's playing in your pocket, or even connected to a high end stereo system, nothing comes close.

I agree nwcpn, Its made for the VAIO lovers And I'm a lover of this VAIO for sure , pleased as punch I got Mine now . I was when I bought it . I don't think my feeling will change.

My year of 2005 starts with stunning tunes in my pocket Thanks to A VAIO