Join now - be part of our community!

Getting Networked

reenby
Visitor

Getting Networked

:thinking: Hi, I just go my vaio for chistmas, and naturally wanted to get online but also to see the file system and printer of my desktop.

Went to PC world and was assured that I needed a netgear router. Attached router to broadband and desktop, switched wireless on laptop and bingo can now see internet.

However I cannot figure out how to get desktop and notebook to see each other. Any pointers would be gratefully received

Merry xmas and happy new year

Reenby

21 REPLIES 21
TygerTyger
Visitor

Make sure that Windows Firewall is turned OFF. If you have another firewall you don't need it, and it's not much use in the first place anyway.

feederfan
Visitor

Try adding a network place
Click add network place
then type
//PCNAME/FOLDER
So, if your PC name is, for example, desktop, and the folder you are sharing on it is my music, you type //desktop/My Music
That should do the trick!

phil.howard
Visitor

Do you have a wireless card also installed in your desktop ?
You will need one to be able to see the desktop from your laptop even though you can go on-line from you laptop and desktop. I have a fully working system (based on 4 different computers and using Belkin units) and this is the only the computers acn see each other. The other replies are also correct , you need to set up the Firewall to recognise both computers - Look in the help files of your Firewall and follow instructions to place your laptop in the allowed area
Hope this helps

feederfan
Visitor

Im afraid you dont phil. I have a desktop which is connected via an ethernet cable and a laptop which is wi-fi. I can transfer files between the desktop and laptop in both directions, and i can use remote desktop to control my desktop from my laptop. Its just a case of setting it up correctly, and as reenby is finding out, its not easy! Microsoft dont really make it easy in their wizards either, its best to go the manual route.

phil.howard
Visitor

Thanks for the input. I was (I thought) advised by Belkin that to see my desktop from my laptop I would need a card in the desktop as well. It will be interesting to see if I can still see and transfer if the card is removed or switched off. Hope it does as my daughter is about to set up a network at her home and this may mean less cost

phil.howard
Visitor

Just to update you I have switched off the desktop card and I can still access the shared folders from my other computers. I took advice from Belkin when sorting out the hardware to buy, guess they made an additional sale. To return to the original question it must be the firewall causing the blockage I have found to my cost that unless you get this right then it will not work. Good luck to originator, thanks for the help form you others out there

Happy new year to everyone.

paddopower
Visitor

i had the same problem ... you need to instal all icp protocals and than if it good is it will work (it worked for me) ... because the computers arent comunicating with each other. Quite stopped from sony if you ask me .... (way was it not preinstaled sony !?)

feederfan
Visitor

I dont think the network protocols are installed as standard in XP Home, remember, XP Home is not really designed for networking, so thats why hes having problems!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Can't say I had problems.
I didn't have to install any more.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Me neither. In fact I networked Home to 98 without a problem, though it wasn't exactly user friendly.