Join now - be part of our community!

Getting Networked

reenby
Visitor

Getting Networked

:thinking: Hi, I just go my vaio for chistmas, and naturally wanted to get online but also to see the file system and printer of my desktop.

Went to PC world and was assured that I needed a netgear router. Attached router to broadband and desktop, switched wireless on laptop and bingo can now see internet.

However I cannot figure out how to get desktop and notebook to see each other. Any pointers would be gratefully received

Merry xmas and happy new year

Reenby

21 REPLIES 21
feederfan
Visitor

Why did PC world assure you of that one? was it the most expensive?:smileytongue:
Anyway, to do this you need to set the folders that you want to share on your PC and laptop as shared. You do this by right clicking on a folder, clicking sharing and security then click share this folder. To see the folders of the computers on the other one, you need to make sure they are members of the same domain, they should both be automatically set to MSHOME, but if you have changed it, you need to correct that. Then go on My Network Places and you should see the folders. If it asks you to log on, use administrator, and the administrator password you set when you first loaded your computer.
I hope that helps, but i understand if it doesnt, there are lots of guides on the net for this kinda thing tht make it a lot easier than I do, I have the problem of assuming you have so much computer knowledge!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should have come here, we'd have found you a good deal.

reenby
Visitor

HI

thanks for your reply. I have shared the folder on my desktop. If I look at My Networth Places, all I see is Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network and MSHOME. If I try to open MSHome up I get an error telling me mshome is not available.

Thanks for any help

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Which firewall are you using?

feederfan
Visitor

Ok, you need to answer 2 question,
1) what operating systems are you using
2) do you have Norton internet securtiy installed?

Then we will know about your problem and be able to give you a more accurate response.
And, as kee-lo said, next time you buy something, ask us, we know how to get it cheap :slight_smile:

reenby
Visitor

norton firewall. I should mention that only my laptop is wireless. My desktop is connected to the router via a cable which came with the router.

thanks

feederfan
Visitor

It is very possible that norton firewall is blocking it, have you tried it with norton off? I have the same set up as you I think, what OS do you use? I have XP Pro on both mine.

reenby
Visitor

I have both Norton firewall and Norton virus checker running. I have XP home on the desktop and XP Pro on the laptop,

When I set up the router, it created a wireless network which I called mynet. My laptop uses this network to get to the internet. If I look at my network connections on the laptop, the wireless connection is using mynet. If however I look at network connections on the desktop, its not. I assume thats because it is directly connected to the router and doesnt know about mynet?

Should I be able to see the desktop shared folder from the laptop via windows explorer, under entre network?

thanks

reenby
Visitor

:slight_smile:
Hi

The Norton hint seems to be the key. I went into firewall onboth pcs and TRUSTED the other. That seems to improve thngs.

I can now set up a mapped drive to the share on both pcs, and I can also use the printer on the desktop from my laptop.

I still dont understand why I cant see the pc on my laptop windows explorere, Do I have to share the entire C drve?

Anyway many thanks for your help and have a great new year

Reenbt
:slight_smile: