Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX9V Having problems with PMB playing videos??

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
davederave007
Visitor

DSC-HX9V Having problems with PMB playing videos??

I have problems getting my PMB software to recognize any HD vidoes recorded from my camera. Even manually copying them over with copy and paste and then trying to explore the folder with PMB shows nada!

I have checked the file extension is .MTS which is one of the the AVCHD formats and so this shoule be recognized by PMB file manager. I have read somehwere that this may be the result of a codec conflict if installing a free codec pack. Well the only codec pack I can think of was MPCSTAR and even uninstalling this had no result. I also check my PMB is the latest and re-installed it again.

Any Help here would be great?

Thanks,

DAvid

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

You're welcome :slight_smile:

MPCSTAR delivers a whole bunch of different codecs & I have no idea how these might affect PMB, let alone how your system might have assimilated them relative to video editing. There are other conflict possibilities of course, but if WMP and other video editors do work with your HX9V files, it's almost certainly a codec conflict and that's where I'd point the finger.

PMB is a very basic viewing and editing tool and to be fair, was never intended to be anything else. Like most manufacturer-bundled software it was designed to give a minimum level of features and settings, which are often more than enough to get the least-demanding users up and running with their new cameras.

For what you might call intelligent settings I'd always recommend upgrading to something like Sony Vegas, or third-party software such as Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

Anyway, I hope you manage to get the problem resolved without too much hassle.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi David :slight_smile:

It could well be the codec pack installation that messed things up; perhaps uninstalling it was less than effective :thinking:

Certainly the HX9V should work 'out of the box' with the latest version of PMB. Have you tried Windows Media Player? If it's ok with that, it would point more firmly at a codec issue.

Cheers

Mick

davederave007
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Mick,

Yes I agree it might be likely that some codecs with other software have messed things up a bit. Windows Media Players does in fact play the files fine and so does other software.

It's trying to rectify the problem that seems to be quite difficult however. I really don't want to re image my whole system as a result of this but I will reserve it as a last option here.

I can't understand which software was responsible for messing up PMB in the first place? I never installed a codec pack as such but I did install MPCSTAR which could be regarded as something similar to this. However uninstalling it didn't help nor did re-installing PMB help either.

I will consider a re-image of my sytem soon and hopefully that will correct things. Damn codecs :angry: I would of thought PMB would have more intelligent settings to prevent this happening in the first place.

Mick2011
New

You're welcome :slight_smile:

MPCSTAR delivers a whole bunch of different codecs & I have no idea how these might affect PMB, let alone how your system might have assimilated them relative to video editing. There are other conflict possibilities of course, but if WMP and other video editors do work with your HX9V files, it's almost certainly a codec conflict and that's where I'd point the finger.

PMB is a very basic viewing and editing tool and to be fair, was never intended to be anything else. Like most manufacturer-bundled software it was designed to give a minimum level of features and settings, which are often more than enough to get the least-demanding users up and running with their new cameras.

For what you might call intelligent settings I'd always recommend upgrading to something like Sony Vegas, or third-party software such as Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

Anyway, I hope you manage to get the problem resolved without too much hassle.

Cheers

Mick